Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major f**king spam - alert

Options
  • 10-10-2001 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Just a warning in advance in case you get hit by the same spam/mailbomb attack I've had today...

Some guy under the name of "rausmitdir" and email address of "wizzard9@earthlink.net" has been sending LARGE amounts of anti-US/anti-Israeli emails (LONG messages of nasty propaganda), and some emails that are simply designed to crash your email app (enormous mails - text only - huge amount of seemingly randomly constructed sentences), some with zip attatchments purporting to include video files ("Israel's culpability is shown in the attached movie zip file."). The zip file actually included a tiny exe file and a text file saying something along the lines of "email me back if you like this :):)!!"

Most of the emails are approximately 1.5 - 2Mb in size, some are smaller. I've received about 8 so far and have had to go to the web interface of my email server to (try to) block the sender... (all my web interface lets me do is set up a filter to send these mails direct to the trash... dunno if that trash is periodically emptied...)

Anyway... just a warning... block this f**ker in advance.

All I got in the header (before deleting it) was:
    Reply-To: "rausmitdir" <shrtfuse2@aol.com>
    To:
    To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
    Cc: "BillyDeeScared" <BillyDee@ufossi.org>

- if I get another mail and can read the header before it f**ks up my email client, I'll post it here.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks Niall.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I just received another 10 emails from this f**ker, pushing me over my 10Mb storage limit on netidentity. It doesn't seem that the filtering system on my mail account is good enough - it just lumps the stuff into the trash and doesn't empty the trash, thereby filling up my account anyway...

Is it just me that's getting this sh*t!!??

I've reported it to http://spamcop.net but I'm not sure where else to go with it.

--

here's a couple of examples, which I'm posting here purely to show what kind of crap this guy is sending around (not to promote or support his ideas...).

http://www.iolfree.ie/~okeeffe/spam.txt

(I've kept THIS file small)

--

18 LARGE (largest is now 3.5Mb) unsolicited emails into an account of mine that had never before been the subject of spam.

I'm f**king annoyed about this!!!! Mad as hell! Can ya blame me?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep got hit by 19 mails. Thankfully the new Ireland.com mail service has a blocking facility, but I expect this asshole(s) to use different addresses.

Gandalf.

that txt file is only a tiny tiny example of the stuff coming in ...

spamcop didn't accept the pasted email because there wasn't enough header info (I should have remembered to paste that from the message properties in Outlook before deleting them) - so I'll just have to wait until I get another spam mail so's I can report it properly.

For the first time, I guess I'm going to have to set up my email account to forward to my IOL account or another one which has better filtering.

I'll be emailing the admins of netidentity to ask them to beef up their (****) "filtering" system and add address blocking to it.

I hope this doesn't continue too long.

it appears to have stopped, thankfully...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

So are you hosting with Cedant by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i got the same bard, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33119

annoying alright, especially since there was an email i needed to get in a hurry, but alas.. had to sort out all that spam first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

aaaaaargh... i don't think its possible to block sender with esat webmail, and i dunno how to do it with outlook express, and now that my webmail has exceeded its quota blah blah (even tho i deleted all the stuff i d/led) that the remaining emails are left on pop server, so i have 6 or 7 left to get through :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Write to abuse@earthlink.net - I got some spam from an earthlink addy the other day, forwarded it to that address marking it "SPAM!", got an automatic reply a little later saying they have a zero-tolerence policy on spam and yadda yadda. I usually mail the abuse@isp for most spam.

It's STILL happening... another 3 mails from this sh*thead this morning - one of them a couple of megs in size.

grrr :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Bard, if you find outlook express downloading MEGA-amounts of huge emails, simply:

Telnet to your POP mail server, Enter in your user/pass details, and delete the offending mail without reading it.

To do this:

(e.g. I use eircom, so my POP server is mail1.eircom.net)

Start -> run -> "telnet mail1.eircom.net 110" (no quotes)
    USER rento
    PASS mypassword
    LIST

* at this point you'll get a list of mails, it will show you the size of the mail also. also you can try STAT or UIDL.
    DELE n
    * replace n with the index number of the mail thats huge.
    QUIT
    Hope it helps :cool:

actually it's Outlook 10 I'm using, but thanks for the tip, Renton...

My email provider (netidentity) has a webmail site for their customers so I've been using that to delete the offending emails before Outlook pulls them down... a little easier and more user friendly than telnet, tbh... :D

I've reported it (and had it accepted properly this time) to spamcop.net and it in turn has reported it to all the relevant abuse moderators in the email providers worldwide that have been carriers for the messages: abuse@att.net, mail-abuse@yahoo-inc.com, shawn@hostnoc.net postmaster@newsmax.com, postmaster@washingtonpost.com, abuse@yipes.com. I've also reported it to abuse@earthlink.net... comprehensive, eh?

Not that I condone it, I can understand how those spammers got shot before in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

oh rite i'm not alone so! :)
    I was startin to think i'd signed up for some newsletter n just 4got about it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

My email provider (netidentity) has a webmail site for their customers so I've been using that to delete the offending emails before Outlook pulls them down... a little easier and more user friendly than telnet, tbh... :D

Only if you're a big woosy...

Hur hur...

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta

Only if you're a big woosy...

Hur hur...

adam

I think you mean "wussy", Adam... :p

Telnet was the joint 1st application of the Internet that I used (along with e-mail - I had to telnet to a machine to get at my email, y'see) when I started using the 'net some years ago in college. Trust me, I've had to telnet into many a mail server to remove mailbomb and spam email over a number of years - I know how to use it... - I still used a Telnet talkie site (based on "N.U.T.S. server") up until a short while ago...

...but we've moved on a bit since then and can now use nice'n'easy GUI type webmail interfaces and get things done in a couple of clicks instead of the Unix mailer command line interfaces where you have to remember obscure commands. It's friendlier, easier and it's faster. That may be a wussie response, but time is money on the 'net, as you know all too well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I got 23 mails from this gimp too. Filetering em out now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I'm getting this as well and it's really starting to annoy me, going to go and filter them out now (thx munch :)) but they were really wrecking my head ast night, huge downloads and it took ages.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

yeah I received about 70 of them all at once to my eircom.net address.

although they seem to have stopped now :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

this ****s been emailing me for months, seems to have gotten into the old esat mailing lists, because the email ive recieve says, undisclosed iol client.

that exe, i ran it on a safe system, didnt seem to do anything, its not a virus and its not a trojan, dont really know what to make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

not gotton any e-mails of this type but then agin i do get just about 20 spam mails every 6 hrs to each of my mail accounts . and its just so annoying . my block list is gotton so huge its unreal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

I got the same cr@p through another.com, what a dipstick :mad:

Advertisement