Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sticking two network cards in a machine?

• 09-03-2000 1:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if this is possible.

If I have two network cards and slap them both into a machine, will NT reconise that there are two cards and send out packets on both cards? Or is this just wishful thinking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I know you can put dual network cards into a NT server but I don't know if it does what you say I'll try find out for you.

KaYoS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

2 x 100mb n/w cards in NT does not equal a 200mb network conection. You gotta give them both different IP addresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It's an IBM machine, so more then I need probably. wink.gif

yea I was thinking giving them both different IP's, but wondering if it was possible to do some kind of packet manangement.

I don't want duplicate packets, but more efficent routing. I'd have both cards running through different hubs.

Should point the machine out the machine in question is flying along as it is, just want more bells and whistles. biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It's entirely possible but normally used to turn the server into a gateway between two networks. I don't think it'd make routing anymore efficient.

Some servers have an extra hot swap redundant card in case one fails, but most manfacturers differ on implementation.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

why not install one network card ad split the cable?
    and as far as i know..no you cant stick 2 cards in and send packets to both at once

but what do i know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Unless you want to be a gateway between two networks theres no point in putting in 2 cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

it works, my bro uses it at home so we dont need a hub.. just 1 extra network card and 2 crossover cables, instead of 3 normal cables and a hub and a power supply

also it gives a 100mbit network if your cards support it(just about all network cards on sale now support 100mbit)

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 12-03-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i've an nt server here with a single duel network card in it, both ports hooked to the network and it is splitting the load over both ports. and its frigging fast smile.gif

Advertisement