Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Offers Free DSL Upgrades

Options
  • 10-10-2001 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

(from todays Volta News)

Eircom take heed: BT has offered 850,000 dial-up Internet customers to
    offer them a free DSL upgrade - saving them stg£150 each. The offer will
    run during October, and will really mean more revenue for BT - as anyone
    who takes up the service will be paying stg£39.99 per month instead of
    stg£14.99. Still, it's about half as expensive as Eircom's i-stream product

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

on-topic: it's about half as expensive as Eircom's i-stream product ??
    how ??....does their service have a download cap ??( which affects the value of the service at a given price)

Does it incl VAT(stg) @17.5% ? :)

off-topic: BT are not exactly customer friendly there will prob be a catch in that special DSL offer.

have a look at

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/22137.html

they actually tried to limit bandwidth to about 3kb/s for customers using certain services on ADSL !!
    they even denied doing this, then retracted their denials, sounds like as this will happen here in about 2 yrs time when adsl finally comes :)

/me reckons we need a Watchdog program like one in UK :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by gurramok
    on-topic: it's about half as expensive as Eircom's i-stream product ??
    how ??....does their service have a download cap ??( which affects the value of the service at a given price)
    No
    Does it incl VAT(stg) @17.5% ? :)
    Yes. That is because the uncapped 512kbps uncapped ADSL in the UK is a home product whereas here the capped 512kbps services is special business ADSL. I can't explain it either.

You probably knew the answer to those anyway :)

That is because the uncapped 512kbps uncapped ADSL in the UK is a home product whereas here the capped 512kbps services is special business ADSL

so for the equiv BT adsl product is that eircoN i-stream enhanced service is @ approx £200 + line rental( correct me if i am wrong)....so about FIVE times the price. As u say its unexplainable and undefendable.
    hmmm, maybe we all should set up phoney businesses to avail of it :)

/me wonders if the BT offering is available in NI...just a few miles across border....if it is, it is further proof that remoteness of region and/or size of population is no barrier for a telco to offer adsl to the masses at an affordable reasonable price.
    also mayb we all should 'emigrate' to NI to avail of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I think the "catch" in the BT offer is that anyone who upgrades will end up paying BT more money (don't forget how important cash-slow is to them right now) - in the medium term they'll make more money from the upgraders on DSL than the Anytime users (they're still smarting after a watchdog outing on that one as well)

AFAIK it's no problem to get DSL in NI, at least in Belfast. Don't forget Eircom's Anytime offering on offer in the North 24x7 for 56k access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 JamworkS

Don't forget Eircom's Anytime offering on offer in the North 24x7 for 56k access.
    By Screpte

Is Eircom working as well in the North? Or is it just as an ISP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i almost died when i heard the sales pitch from that freefone number regarding i-stream.

when i heard the price i simply gasped and hung up, she was giving me numbers that i did NOT want to hear....

end gripe

Don't forget Eircom's Anytime offering on offer in the North 24x7 for 56k access

Re: IOFFL committee
    Y isn't this info on the IOFFL site ?....not since i last checked.
    This info should be a powerful argument against the hypocrisy
    of eircoN.
    It is absolutely outrageous that the same company is offering flat-rate in NI but not down here !!
    As eircoN are the only ones to be able to afford the introduction of a flat-rate service by way of monopoly y are we regarded by eircoN as somehow internet inferior inhabitants that we must pay about 40 times(prob more) as much as NI customers for a similar service??

In my humble opinion, they have really sunk to a new low.

i almost died when i heard the sales pitch from that freefone number regarding i-stream.

Mayb thats their idea....strangle us with their extortion prices :)
    hehe but they will not kill our spirit !! :D

Advertisement