Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microtonal tuning?

Options
  • 10-10-2001 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has dabbled in microtonal tuning (tuning instruments to have more than 12 semitones per octave for example). Or even if anyone is dabbling in the music of the planets? (of the solar system)

Anybody?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Like on a guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

like on anything really. It is possible to tune guitars to have 15 notes per octave but the problem is that you have overlapping strings as far as I see. The easiest way for me to achieve alternative tunings is via MIDI and pitch shift in cents.

I'm not talking about tuning guitars to wierd open tunings, I mean physically changing the structure of the relationship between notes - ie. adding more frets and changing the positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

just get a fretless anything! .... sorted! ....

I do, just wondering if anyone else has experience or is interested in breaking from the norm and using more notes than the western world does! :cool:

Lucy Tuning website has some interesting ideas if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

well i was playing this chord (has a long wierd name like g/dsus2/13# or something over a C

d---5--
    a---3--
    f#--4--
    d---5--
    a---5--
    d---(2)

it sounded nice

• Advertisement

Is that not a D major chord? or is that dadfad the open tuning and the numbers are the frets on your guitar?

Oh I see, thats your open tuning huh? wow, you freeky dude you! Yeh thats some kind of Gminor chord, with a dash of suspended 2nd and a twist of major 6th into the smorgasbord. My old music teacher would be proud of you!

One of my personal fave guitar chord with normal tuning has got to be

E - 0
    B - 5
    G - 0
    D - 6
    A - 7
    E - 0

That is Emajorminor or Emm?as I like to call it!:D

Advertisement