Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three magic words I want to hear:)

Options
  • 10-10-2001 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

No its not 'I love you'. Its Wireless Area Network. Id love to see more ppl joining up. Think about it, no more £250 phonebills on the kitcheb table ever again. That £250 could be better spent on some wirless kit. This would be great for high speed internet access. Im not trying to sell something here. I am not a businessman. I am a concerned internet user ( worried about that incoming dreaded phonebil ), and I need the NET a good bit. Im doing Computer Apps in DCU in my first year. Yesterday I had to download the Java Dev Kit, and at 24mbytes, its a fairly hefty download given my connection speed. Im sure there are hundreds of others out there like me who need computers and the internet for research and all that. Before you start saying ' ah WANS are useless no Line of Sight blah blah,

Have a look at http://www.irishwan.org
    Any questions?? Pop onto IRC , server: destruction.phishy.net , room #irishwan

Thanks

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I joined today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

the prob i would have with the idea of the Wireless Area Network idea is :

its totally dependent on EircoN/competitors proposed ADSL service if it ever comes out, and on top of that, the service provider might not approve of using the ADSL service in such a way :(

i'm not knocking the enthusiasm of the idea, its just that i think its risky considering the cost of getting the appropiate hardware thats involved in the WAN idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't think it's "totally" dependant on ADSL. Sure, it would be better with ADSL, but there's the other option of sharing a leased line. It means getting more users and/or spending more, but it's still possible.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Originally posted by gurramok
    the prob i would have with the idea of the Wireless Area Network idea is :

its totally dependent on EircoN/competitors proposed ADSL service if it ever comes out, and on top of that, the service provider might not approve of using the ADSL service in such a way :(

i'm not knocking the enthusiasm of the idea, its just that i think its risky considering the cost of getting the appropiate hardware thats involved in the WAN idea.

Having thought about that for a while I think the idea of getting Eircoms DSL should maybe come second as an alternative. We should look into getting a grant for a leased line. I hear the State are offering funding for the community development of broadband, and Brendan Kehoe is currently in talks with the government. Cork have the promise of a 1mb line from a company, so that should do nicely for them. Maybe if we could request some bandwidth from the colleges located around Dublin, like DCU or UCD. If the worst somes to the worst, regarding not being able to find bandwidth initially, then we could put all the most downloaded files by a user on our own ftp server, at an access point, and aet up our own ircd etc. Thats one to think about anyway, anyone for any ideas, or better yet, some bandwidth to spare;)

Thanks and god bless,

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

I think this wireless WAN idea has the potential to take internet access control AWAY from corporate business like eircom and allow users to become a completely independant entity.
    Though we should all collectively become equal Share Holders, since we will all be investing our own time money and equipment. Although what where realy talking about here is a co-Oprative. :cool:

• Advertisement

Cork have the promise of a 1mb line from a company, so that should do nicely for them.

I think it's half a meg. And it's just for testing. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

but when the cork cell is fully setup and operational, the amount of bandwidth that will be required will be completely crazy.. I mean a 2mb leased line is a drop in the ocean as far as bandwidth requirements go. that is if everyone is to have a service which matches residential dsl. I know Im just being a bitch, but its true.. :)

but when the cork cell is fully setup and operational, the amount of bandwidth that will be required will be completely crazy.. I mean a 2mb leased line is a drop in the ocean as far as bandwidth requirements go. that is if everyone is to have a service which matches residential dsl. I know Im just being a bitch, but its true..

It is true, but it'd work out far cheaper than a 64k leased line for me...

Course, that's just me...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Aprox pricing:

1Mbps leased line will cost £22000 (End-User) , 2Mbps £35000 .... (Prices do not include Eircom Line Charges) $HIT :(

Maybe we should seriously think about 'tie lines' ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Asking someone like Nevadatele (They are really good to deal with) about the posibility of leasing a line in their Data Center and Sticking an Antena in... they will prolly tell us to shag of, but they may be open to the idea as a lot of the ISP's are desperatly trying to sell their Data-Center Bandwidth..

Gamb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Well it just so happens that I am meeting with the Nevada tele crew next week so maybe I could put the feelers out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Myself & Brendan Kehoe are looking into NDP funding for the project. If realised, it will provide much more than leased line access. Have a gander at the forum at www.irishwan.org for more info etc.

Advertisement