Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hang on connect with USR PCI 56k modem

• 14-03-2000 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm getting a hang about 30 seconds after connecting to the isp with this modem. It seems to have installed and work fine, but the OS is completely locking up, no mouse movement, and ctrl-alt-del doesn't work either.

I think it may be a COM port/IRQ/device issue, but since it's a Dell I've never had any problem like this before.

Where do I start? smile.gif

Thanks,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Right click my computer, properties, device manager. Any thing stand out ? , yellow ! or red circle. If yes then theres your conflict (or incorrect drivers). Try removing offending device and reinstall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Cheers man, but there doesn't seem to be any conflict like that.

Anyway, is it possible to be handshaking with the ISP if there was a conflict? I am getting that far before it locks.

Thanks,

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dunno, check yer modem properties.
    make sure its using point to point (ppp) and other such useful things
    or
    download the latest drivers..oh, you cant can you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Gamblor

You might want to install a bog standerd modem connect and download the drivers that way... or seeing as it's a new modem ... connect withte 28.8 and see if you can get a modem string ( it works great for me anyway !!!) I have drivers for a lucit modem .. not any helo just thought i'd say !!!

***** Feel my Evil Neon Claws *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I've seen this but with a Lt win modem and it happened as soon as it tried to pick up the carrier. It turned out to be a h/w defect.

On top of concentrating drivers check your system for other apps like fax software.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

nah, that would just cause a port ot be open and not allow you to dial out at all AJ.
    which reminds me.
    you coming out for a pint or two on saturday evening with me an conor?
    the missus is in limerick coz im working most of the weekend so we have a few beers and go see a movie.
    what ya think?
    eh?
    eh?
    eh?

Advertisement