Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand out against injustice...

Options
  • 10-10-2001 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

I was told today by some ****e eating **** that I had to 25 to buy alcohal at Superquinn in Northside shopping centre. The following statement has been sent to the Northside People and will be forwarded in due course to the guardaí, feel free to forward it to anyone you think may be able to ensure that Superquinn are prosecuted for this descrimination against young people.

"I would like to bring to your attention the unjust and illegal policy of Superquinn in Northside Shopping centre regarding the sale of alcohal. They will only sell alcohal to individuals over the age of 25! This is illegal. The only age limit on the purchase of alcohal in this country is 18. Anyone who can produce a passport or national age card that proves they are 18 or older has the right to purchase alcohal in this country.

This is descrimination and I can only conclude that they do not like young people in general. It was during "Freshers Day" at Collaiste Dhulaigh that students of this college were denied the right to purchase alcohal despite the fact that they were legally old enough."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

alcohol-
    and yeah go get 'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭twoheadedcow

im 20, i got over 21 **** a couple of weeks ago, i said to the clerk i was going to ring the gardaí on the spot unless i was served.. he grumbled and served me.

i can understand why some bars and stuff want an older crowd, and although they cant anymore.. i can maybe understand why..

i never understood why supermarkets and higher class offies pushed the 21,23 or 25 issue, they were missing out on a small fortune, and why??? it is idiocy.

eircom/fuked up injust laws/98fm, i hate this country.

email your annoyance to them..

talk@superquinn.ie

i did. quote the law that makes this illegal.

'the equal status act 2000'

me again...

last year i was in college in waterford.. i purchased my drink with a passport in Superquin, Kilbarry.. and was never refused.

maybe its just one store, who knows.. it still blows..

dunnes/supervalu/tesco all updated from over 21 to over 18 earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Why didnt you just go to the off licence in the pub? no muss no fuss, great boozer that place, good pint of guinness.

ah colaiste dhulaigh my old stoming ground....... there was **** loads of drink last year too, i sometimes wish i was still there.....
    hey monkey what you doing there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

This is ridiculous.

Spread the word!

Lets have a superquin boycott!

I'm 21 now and if anyone stuck me with that I'd get Seprico after em! That'll learn ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

reading monkeys text it appears that he did indeed get drink after all...
    j!ve

ive no angst about this,i've always found it cool and groovy.
    and i'm a baby faced dude also...
    maybe you're not as lordly as i...
    j!ve!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Yeah I got drink in Dunnes and wrote that stuff after consuming it.

Anyway I was on to the Equality Authority folks this moring [(01) 4173333 if you have a simliar complaint] and they were quite interested to hear my story.

I was also asked by the Sunday Businness Post to provide more info which I then did while sober, the results of this follow:

"I went into Superquinn to purchase a few cans of beer. Outside someone told me that they were saying they wouldn't sell to anyone under the age of 25 though knowing this was illegal I went in anyway.

As I walked up the aisle where the beer is kept I was approached by an employee of Superquinn who asked me that I was of legal age. He told me I had to be at my age. I told him I was 18 years old and he then told me I was "too young". I had my passport which verified least 25 years of age. At this point I noticed a sign saying so.

I then tried to explain to this gentleman that this policy was illegal but he did not seem interested in listening to reason instead repeating over and over that it was ok because it was "company policy". I did not get a chance to ask to speak to the manager and had little choice but to take my business elsewhere. I have since been informed of a similar policy at another Superquinn Store though I have not been able to find out which branch yet

Thank You"

Superquinn tell me they have forwarded my complaint to the relevant person.

Advertisement