Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Injustice

• 10-10-2001 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

I was told today by some ****e eating **** that I had to 25 to buy alcohal at Superquinn in Northside shopping centre. The following statement has been sent to the Northside People and will be forwarded in due course to the guardaí, feel free to forward it to anyone you think may be able to ensure that Superquinn are prosecuted for this descrimination against young people.

"I would like to bring to your attention the unjust and illegal policy of Superquinn in Northside Shopping centre regarding the sale of alcohal. They will only sell alcohal to individuals over the age of 25! This is illegal. The only age limit on the purchase of alcohal in this country is 18. Anyone who can produce a passport or national age card that proves they are 18 or older has the right to purchase alcohal in this country.

This is descrimination and I can only conclude that they do not like young people in general. It was during "Freshers Day" at Collaiste Dhulaigh that students of this college were denied the right to purchase alcohal despite the fact that they were legally old enough."

I'll be ****ed up the arse before I let them get away with this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Monkey

Not meaning to be rude, but you better get ready for that f*cking so!!

I was a student, and I do sympathise, but do you honestly think the garda shicaloni are going to give a rats a*se about whether a student can get alcohol or not? Well .. they might arrest you for bothering them though.

And the government? They couldn't sort out a paper bag yet alone anything else cause they haven't got a spine between the bunch of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Serves you right for not having a good fake id :p

I might just go over there for a cheap thrill and hope i get asked for id..damn i miss those days.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

same applies in my local s-quinn.

Im sure a letter to fergal quinn would do alot better that goin to the gards. He will do nething for his customers.

Hes always around his stores aswell so look for a white haired man surrounded by managers and general lay abouts. Ask him himself.

Tell him that tesco hav a 18's policy and he'll surely change it for ya.

Chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

did you mention it to the guy selling you the drink????/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I used work in a Superquinn(I know,I know, but I was only 17), and the fact of the matter is, you don't have the right to buy alcohol. The law only states that 'Persons under the age of 18 years are prohibited from purchasing, consuming or selling intoxicating liquor', there is nothing under law that says you are legally entitled to have alcohol sold to you if you are over 18. If they don't want to sell it to you, they don't have to, just like every other piece of food in the store.

Let's put it this way, say you damaged some stuff in the shop, and they told you to get out, but you wanted to buy some other stuff, they are totally within their rights to tell you to fúck off, take the food from you and kick you out. Just because they are a shop, doesn't mean that they are bound by law to sell their stock to whoever wants it.

The whole 'age discrimination' thing only applies to getting entry into public houses. Once you're in there, they can still refuse to sell you alcohol. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's the way things are.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

yeah i know people are real f*cking d*icks sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

You're not quite right there Seamus.

Ageism is illegal in Ireland. This means that you cannot discriminate against anyone over 18 on the basis of their age. You can discriminate on policies such as clothing, drunkeness, etc. You are obliged (AFAIK) to give a reason. Obviously these policies must then be upheld for any other candidate.

So, you are not entitled admission to a pub for example, solely on the basis of your age. However, you may not be denied admission solely on the basis of your age. You may not be denied the sale of alcohol on the basis of your age, assuming you are over 18. Saying that they only sell to over 25s is illegal.

Ask to speak to the manager/superior the next time. Take their names if they are not cooperative and make it clear that you will be lodging a formal complaint. Don't get narky and start spewing forth about sueing their asses or any such. Furthermore, alcohol is spelt with two "o"s. You would do well to spell check any official complaint you're going to make to any offical body, be it the Gardai or Superquinn.

-Ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

yep 'tis a dodgy issue beaver, I tried to have it out with a manager while I was working there, but he told me that it was not being discriminatory, but simply being company policy, it meant that that because the company was losing out on under 25's custom, they couldn't be sued (or something like that), utter BS, but I think the Government couldn't care less anyway. Besides, we all need to calm down on drinking, especially us under 25's, anyone see that report on TV3 saying that 'binge drinking in young people has reached epidemic proportions'? I don't think anyone can argue with that(whoops, off-topic).

In my first post I was really just trying to dispel monkey's idea that he had the 'right' to buy alcohol. Someone who refuses to sell him alcohol on valid grounds is not breaking any laws.(unless he's in France and hasn't had a drink of wine all day :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

erm it's been like that for years. I'm pretty sure if it was illegal someone would of brought it up. Why not just go to the offlicense instead?

It is illegal. Ageism was made illegal in Ireland about 6 months ago, so, while it may have been like that for years, it's no longer allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

wouldnt worry bout it, you can just get YORE MA to buy the booze for ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

"I would like to bring to your attention the unjust and illegal policy of Superquinn in Northside Shopping centre regarding the sale of alcohal. They will only sell alcohal to individuals over the age of 25! This is illegal. The only age limit on the purchase of alcohal in this country is 18. Anyone who can produce a passport or national age card that proves they are 18 or older has the right to purchase alcohal in this country.

There bound to take this seriously..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Sharkey

I was told today by some ****e eating **** that I had to 25 to buy alcohal at Superquinn in Northside shopping centre.

A day where you can't buy alcohol. Man, you Irish students have it tough!

Let me suggest that you prepare ahead of time next year and buy a few cases the day before. Not a cure, but will relieve those irritatating moments of sobriety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Well I was fairly pissed when I wrote it, so I didn't do too badly really. Anyways the Equality Authority were quite interested to hear about this little matter and have confirmed the policy is illegal and will be investigated. If you want to report any similar matters please ring them on (01) 4173333

The Sunday Businness Post have also requested some more info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Sharkey

Well I was fairly pissed when I wrote it, so I didn't do too badly really. Anyways the Equality Authority were quite interested to hear about this little matter and have confirmed the policy is illegal and will be investigated. If you want to report any similar matters please ring them on (01) 4173333

The Sunday Businness Post have also requested some more info

Remind me never to get between an Irishman and his alcohol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by beaver
    Ageism is illegal in Ireland. This means that you cannot discriminate against anyone over 18 on the basis of their age. You can discriminate on policies such as clothing, drunkeness, etc. You are obliged (AFAIK) to give a reason. Obviously these policies must then be upheld for any other candidate.

I would agree that this is the essence of the law. However, the proprietor does not have to give the reason at the time (but he has to at some stage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hmm anyone know any clubs / pubs / whatever still suggesting over 21 / 25 whatever?

Are child bus fares illegal? (They are probably not covered by statute anywhere). Can I insist on the same price as a child ticket in the cinema? Hmmmmm, how to wreck peoples heads.

Originally posted by Victor
    Hmm anyone know any clubs / pubs / whatever still suggesting over 21 / 25 whatever?

I still see signs to that effect on premises, but I haven't heard anyone say it.
    Are child bus fares illegal? (They are probably not covered by statute anywhere). Can I insist on the same price as a child ticket in the cinema? Hmmmmm, how to wreck peoples heads.

I don't know if this anti-ageism thing applies to those under 18... Why would you be able to insist on the same price as a child?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

http://www.odei.ie/EqualStatus/RightsStatus1.htm

Check out this website it's interesting stuff, also read some of the cases that have been taken, though mainly by members of the travelling community who it was expected this act would benefit the most, I'm sure your case will get puplicity! Theres guidelines on this site about how you should go about your complaint http://www.odei.ie/Web-Images/FlowChart.pdf things you should really know like the fact that you have to notify in writing within 2 months of your compaint to the actual person or organisation against whom you are making the complaint.

It's totally illegal to refuse you goods like that on the grounds of your age (once above 18 for drink), I must say I'm shocked and surprised that all these places are still doing it 1 year later?!?! The owner of my local pub explained all this to me last year as the law was coming in, he placed the equal status act on the wall as you walk in the door, it's pretty damn clear in it's explanation!

This law says you cannot be discriminated against directly or indirectly in the provision of a wide range of goods, services, accommodation, facilities for refreshment, entertainment, credit and banking facilities, transport and education on any of the following grounds:

family status
    religion
    sexual orientation
    membership of the Traveller community
    race, nationality, ethnic origin

All these 'over 25's only' excuses are now illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭RiCo

I wish, when I was 25 they did that to me.
    I'd save all the money I spent on alcohol over the years and buy Microsoft, A House, A Car . . . . . :D

Illegal perhaps, Immoral unquestionably.

Obviously the guy who decide not to serve you took a dislike to you. His trumped up excuse is quite simply bull-sh1t.

Definitely a megalomaniac.
    Needs Treatment or Prayers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement