Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2k Pro

• 11-10-2001 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Just installed it. A few Qs.
    I know there were a good few posts before but I never envisioned myself getting win2k so i never bothered to look at them.
    Also, if I were to search tjhe boards archives i'd get a hell of a lot more then what i'm actualy interested in.

Is NFTS better then FAT32?
    Why are there two file sizes for folders; 'Size' and 'Size on Disk'

Have any of ye gotten the 3Com 3C595 100TX PCi NIC working fully under Win2k?

I'm about to install my troublesome SBLive! in it again.
    Did it last night in PCi Slot 3. It used the windows basic Live driver (WDM). I get sound, but I have non of the fancy stuff.
    I did the software instal off the disc. It nearly fecked my PC.
    The quick launcher wouldn't show, surround sound mixer is still b0rked, b!tching about it's inability to find plugins that are under its very nose.
    Also, is there suppposed to be a Speaker beside the clock in Win2k? i don't have one.

I also couldn't get my GeForce to install, using win2k 12.41 drivers, unless I enabled a VGA IRQ in the BIOS.

All-in-all I like win2k. the way the menus fade away instead of a sudden vanishing is coooool beyond belief.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Hmm, those are pretty old Detonator drivers. Get the most recent release (significant boost in GF performance I read). I am using v4.13.01.2181 (ie.., you are using x.xx.xx.1241). The latest are the Detonator XP drivers (no it doesn't mean you can only use them on XP).

NTFS has stuff like journalling which makes the filesystem more immune to crashes (unlikely to suffer extreme data loss). There's also proper permissions and encryption (at least I think Win2k Pro had the encryption, I know XP Pro has, but XP Home doesn't).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Yea NTFS is better. It also allows you to set permissions on a file/directory basis (Something NT should of had a long time ago).

Btw, after you install the software.
    1. Install SP2

2. Go to MS website and install latest updates (ignore IE6 if you can help it).

Then start installing drivers and whatnot.

To check your system drivers, etc right click "My Computer" And select Manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Go to MS website and install latest updates (ignore IE6 if you can help it).

I haven't really read too much about IE6- not since the smart tags controversy- but I was thinking about d/l it soon when I get a chance- Why should I avoid it ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You need the full Win2k Liveware from www.sblive.com to get anything beyond basic sound.
    To enable the Speaker Icon go to CTRL PANEL / SOUNDS and tick the option to place the volume icon on the taskbar/system tray.

SP2 is a must and don't forget the Win2k specific Dx8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

And NVidia have released the new 21.83 Detonator drivers just to top it all off ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

There are two file sizes shown because one reflects the actual amount of data in that file, and the other shows how much space on the disk the file has taken to put that data in.

Er. I understand it, but it's a bit of a bollocks to explain.

It's like a whole load of cubby-holes, right? Say each cubbyhole can hold 4k of data, and you have a file that's 6k, well, you obviously need two cubbyholes (clusters? er.. not sure of the name myself), so the first one is full, 4k of data in there, and the rest, 2k, goes in the next cubbyhole, leaving 2k unused. You can't put any other data from other files in there, so that cluster may as well be full, hence the size on disk counting the unused, and unusable, data in each cluster.

At least, that's my understanding of it. Perhaps I haven't explained it well, it being 3am and all. I'll re-read this tomorrow and see how much sense it makes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Originally posted by phaxx
    Say each cubbyhole can hold 4k of data, and you have a file that's 6k, well, you obviously need two cubbyholes (clusters? er.. not sure of the name myself)

That would be blocks :)

At least, that's my understanding of it. Perhaps I haven't explained it well, it being 3am and all. I'll re-read this tomorrow and see how much sense it makes :)

Yup, thats pretty much it.
    I recall once deinstalling some package that was about 70M, but it had rakes and rakes
    of tiny files, suddenly an extra 250M of space appeard on the drive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'll just add that my 3com 3c905b 10/100 network card works perfectly. Theres built in drivers for it, which work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I read the above file in the root of the CD. For once :)
    It specificaly says my card, 3c595 100-TX PCi won't work.
    There ARE unsupported Win2k drivers on teh 3com site.
    They're about 2megs. I might try splitting them up with Winzip or similar. I have to take em from college cos I got 6.00 drivers for my Lucent modem and it wouldn't connect to Oceanfree. I have a feeling they're v.92, But I'm honestly not sure.
    Win2k detected and installed the card on teh first boot but I never checked to see if it would connect or not.
    I'll say i'll have to just reformat again.

I'll also have to get in touch with Robbo and get him to burna few files from the IT lans.
    Might do it today.
    I remember that DetXP 21.81 (I think 8 anyways) used to hang my PC for no reason under Win98SE.
    I'm rather reluctant to try DetXP now.
    Has anyone tried 21.83 (newer) on a GeForce256 SDR or DDR under Win2k Pro???
    I'd like to have OpenGL1.3 cos it has some nice 3D textures and stuff.
    Can DirectX9 be downloaded on its own like every preceding Dx, or is it confined to XP, if only for the meantime??

I've noticed that NFTS is a damn sight faster at starting stuff after you've loaded it and exited it once. Outlook being a nice example.
    Caching I suppose.
    I've also enabled acceleration for main applications as opposed to ruinning in back ground.
    Not the best for installing big things while whacking a pinball around a table though.
    Is the Service Pack big?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

21.83 drivers are wqhl certified, meaning the overclocking options won't work, as well as the disabling vsync for d3d option.

Wait a few days and they normally release a non-wqhl version of them, which coolbits reg entry will open up all the options of.

Other choice is to use 21.83 and use nvqtwk.dll and nvcpl.dll from another non-wqhl set, this will also open up all options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah, that'll come in handy.
    Knew about teh WHQL certs allreadyt hough, in reference to O/Cing, not the VertSync in D3D though. Thx.

I won't be O/cing the card yet fdor a bit till i get some proper cooling going on, the CLABD standard fan is oon its very very last legs. it's screaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by 80project

I haven't really read too much about IE6- not since the smart tags controversy- but I was thinking about d/l it soon when I get a chance- Why should I avoid it ??

Can't think of any real reasons - I've had it since it was in early beta (on a spare machine at the time) - now it's full version and I'm happy enough with it - generally find it more stable than 5.5 (it doesn't crash if I have forty windows open)

Advertisement