Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lotus notes database

• 15-03-2000 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

does ne 1 know ne thing about them?

a friends got a server with a LN db on it with read access from her machine but she wants to be able to edit and add to it....
    is there anything specific that needs to be used or run i.e. editdb.exe or the like?

MiCr0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Gamblor

I'll find out for u !!!

***** Feel my Evil Neon Claws *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by MiCr0:

a friends got a server with a LN db on it with read access from her machine but she wants to be able to edit and add to it....
    is there anything specific that needs to be used or run i.e. editdb.exe or the like?

MiCr0

If the database is on a notes server she will not be able to edit the contents or anything unless her access rights have been set in the ACL. If she's a valid user for the database she can copy the database local and work on it from there (it defaults to manager for user). oops. If the manager has set "Create Personal Agents/views" she can make them, but that's about it with reader ACL set.

However if the manager/designer of the database has set "Enforce ACL" she will be unable to do this.

Lastly she can replicate the database locally and work on it, but she won't be able to replicate back into the master database without valid access rights. Replication will only allow her access to stuff she can already see.

What exactly is she trying to do? Btw I work for Lotus.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 15-03-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

she's office manager...
    and she took over the db from the previous manager.
    there are 3 ppl in the office and the other 2 are completely computer illeterate. they didn't even know there was a db.
    the last manager was a fill-in for the previous person... so no db manager is available.
    she needs to be able to edit and add members to the db.
    i'm going in to the office this evening, but ive never used lotos notes b4.
    is it reasonably obvious to use?

MiCr0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

i'm going in to the office this evening, but ive never used lotos notes b4.
    is it reasonably obvious to use?

MiCr0

No it's not. Not unless your used to that kind of thing.

You need to into the database then click File->Database->Access Control.

This will bring up a list of people who are allowed look at the database. You should set her to Manager. Again your not going to be able to do this unless you have manager access to begin with, or if you can copy the file (in windows dos) directly off the server and set it locally.

You should really get her to do lessons or read up on it. It's not something you can just sit down and have it all working instantly. Is she supposed to be the server admin? DB designer? DB manager? DB user?

db user and admin i suppose
    the other 2 can't use ms-word

should i be able to figure it out...?
    or is it really unusuak?

• Advertisement

db user and admin i suppose
    the other 2 can't use ms-word

should i be able to figure it out...?
    or is it really unusuak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Gamblor

MiCr0

Get her to go to the server, start Lotus Notes on the server, notes domino
    server will already be running it looks like a dos screen and may be the only
    notes application she sees running on her server, domino server has to be
    running at all times, but Lotus notes doesn't necessarily have to be open).
    Once notes is started get he to right click on the dp icon on her LN desktop,
    from the drop down menu that appear choose access control. This will open the
    access control list, she should see her name is on the list if it is not she
    will have to click the add button at the bottom of the access control list, and
    type in her full notes name (which includes the company exatly as it appears
    when she is prompted for a password, for example mine is Keith Farrell/Farrell
    Group) Her name will now appear in the access control list. Now she has to
    change her access, on the right of the access control window she will see User
    and Access fields, in theaccess fiels she will have too change her access from
    Reader (which is what is probably is now) to Editor, this will allow her to
    edit/delete and create documents. Do not change the access to Manager or
    Designer because unless you are really notes proficient you don't want to be
    ****ing around with the the design of the db also she could accidently delete
    the db as Manager.

Of course none of this will work unless her server has manager access to the db
    (if will always have manager access if it is the primary notes server for that
    db). If the server she is working on does not have manger status she will have
    to contact the notes administrator for the primary server and get him/her to
    change the access control list for her dp.

If you have any further problems don't hesitate to contact me

***** Feel my Evil Neon Claws *****

unfortunatly she is the person in charge of the db smile.gif

right,
    i went into the office
    i gave her access control to create and edit
    BUT
    it keeps saying that an author name must be set
    any ideas?
    i couldn't find this ne where