Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland BOTTOM of Nielsen Netratings survey ...

Options
  • 12-10-2001 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Time Spent on the Internet in July 2001

Country hh:mm
    Singapore 08:48
    Brazil 08:10
    Taiwan 08:04
    Germany 07:49
    Australia 07:41
    Mexico 07:37
    Argentina 07:21
    Israel 07:15
    Spain 07:00
    New Zealand 06:59
    France 06:58
    Netherlands 06:44
    Belgium 06:22
    UK 06:22
    Austria 06:16
    Italy 05:48
    Switzerland 05:31
    Sweden 05:29
    Denmark 05:13
    Norway 04:37
    South Africa 04:20
    Finland 04:10
    Ireland 03:56
    Source: Nielsen Netratings
    http://www.nielsen-netratings.com/corporate_default.jsp

From a total of 28 countries, where Nielsen measure at-home Internet usage, the Rep. of Ireland ranked bottom in terms of the
    amount of time spent on the net each month and the number of times used.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

The first thing I noticed was the U.S. wasn't mentioned.

The second was it might be interesting to get the average cost accessing the net in each of the 27 countries listed above us.

Maybe it may add another string to IOFFL's bow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Interesting Zenith

Could you post a link to the report if you found it on line?

I wonder what should we infer from the fact that the supposedly keen Nordics are not far ahead of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I'd love if Berti was to view this report ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by zenith
    From a total of 28 countries, where Nielsen measure at-home Internet usage, the Rep. of Ireland ranked bottom in terms of the
    amount of time spent on the net each month and the number of times used.

Now why doesn't that surprise me? Of course we're at the bottom because we don't have anything that would encourage increased net usage such as reasonably priced broadband or even 56K dialup flat-rate access.

If we did have these things we wouldn't be at the bottom of this list and everybody knows that except Eircom, who seem to have their heads firmly wedged up their ar$e$. So much for the government's claims of Ireland being the "E-hub of Europe." We're more like the "E-bog of Europe!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its not a direct source for Neilsen net stats but go here
    http://www.geog.ucl.ac.uk/casa/martin/statistics.html
    for an alarmingly large amount of numbers regarding the net.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I'm suprised w/ Finlands low rating - I thought they had a really high concentration of braodband connections (I know the stat is usage time but broadband normally = more usage)

Maybe the Finnish thang is just a myth...

Like the way Ireland is supposed to be the e-hub of europe :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

E-bog eh? I agree, we're most definately the e-bog of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Only vaguely-related to Nielsen ratings (or not at all) but thought people might find this interesting - wireless networking becoming viable in really rural Argentina.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1589000/1589304.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

I got the details from MCM Advertising's weekly newsletter.

Netratings are here:

http://epm.netratings.com/ie/web/NRpublicreports.usagemonthly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

also,
    notice how low .se and .no are both of which have v.cheap highspped access.

• Advertisement

Fair point, but I think it's safe to say that it's impossible to have high usage stats _without_ v.cheap broadband access though.

Also, netratings is very fsked up: I mean, they've distributed their browser plugin yokey pretty much only to home users on eircom.net it seems.

Anybody want to disagree with that? Anybody even know anybody running the plugin?

Nielsen, what the hell do they know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Netratings are here:

http://epm.netratings.com/ie/web/NRpublicreports.usagemonthly

"The reported Internet usage estimates are based on a sample of households that have access to the Internet and use the following platforms: Windows 95/98/NT, and MacOS 8 or higher."

Well, it doesn't include real internet users then, does it?

<only half sarcastic>

adam

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Singapore and Taiwan I always knew they were amonst the highest usage in the world, but Finland I'm VERY surprised about and Norway down the bottom even tho they all have fiber optics connects to the door for 20 quid a month??? And Ireland, well does that really surprise anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Blade
    Finland I'm VERY surprised about ...

Probably something to do with the fact that most users there run some flavour of UNIX?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fro

A little explaination for the low numbers for the scandinavion countries, at least Sweden, might be since the major vacation time for swedes are in that month so people don't use the web as much.

for those of you wanting some other numbers the average Internet usage for Swedes are 19 minutes per day, or more accurately was since that number isn't the newest in the world.

Oh and broadband internet in Norway is more expensive then the 20 quids mentioned in Blades post. The cheapest ADSL there costs about 45 $ US (about 40 Irish Punt??) and offers 512/128.

Also anyone know how they figure out those numbers at Nielsen-Netraitings??

Thank you for your time,
    /fro

As far as I know, Netratings run a browser plugin proggy that logs everything, and that proggy has been distributed to a properly weighted sample of the Internet universe in the country they are studying.

Of course, that's not happened here (in Ireland) as they've only distributed it to home users, apparently only on eircom.net.

So the figures are a bit sucky, sucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,394 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    The first thing I noticed was the U.S. wasn't mentioned.

The US was on a different page of the report at 10: 02: 47 hours / month.

Advertisement