Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I do eircom for mail fraud

Options
  • 12-10-2001 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

80p, some advise please, as I understand the law (and its not that well) when you send someone out a demand for money, they don't owe you and you know they don't, its mail fraud if you do so by an post.

I got a bill from eircom, and one of the calls was a 1891 call to indigo at 10.23 pm on the 8 of September, now I looked up my ntl bill, which is itemized, and it says I was on from 10-11.55 that night, so how the hell could I have this call one my bill. I cant, therefore they charged me for something I didn't use, and since they used the mail service to carry out this overcharging, its mail fraud, right?

the call was only like 50 seconds, but I pay the bastards enjoy as it is without an extra 1p

Ps I may be going slightly mental over the whole ADSL thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Hmmmmmm. Thats an interesting one.

I dont know the law that well myself, but I'd say you'd get nowhere. Eircom would claim that NTL were wrong, and vice-versa.

Also, if you took it to court, the judge would probobly laugh at a bid for 50p. :(
    but I pay the bastards enjoy as it is without an extra 1p

You pay the bastards enjoy??? Interesting way of putting it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

not that was meant to be enjoyment.
    anyway, ntl arnt wrong, as i know my self im on it 24/2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    80p, some advise please, as I understand the law (and its not that well) when you send someone out a demand for money, they don't owe you and you know they don't, its mail fraud if you do so by an post.

"and you know they don't"
    nope -it's is they know you don't

I got a bill from eircom, and one of the calls was a 1891 call to indigo at 10.23 pm on the 8 of September, now I looked up my ntl bill, which is itemized, and it says I was on from 10-11.55 that night, so how the hell could I have this call one my bill. I cant, therefore they charged me for something I didn't use, and since they used the mail service to carry out this overcharging, its mail fraud, right?

if you are really worried about it, send an email to support@indigo.ie-they can get someone to crosscheck your number in the access server logs.
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I don't think we have a mail fraud law here like they have in the US (though I'm well open to correction, I slept through most of my degree)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

«Bo§ton»
    i know my self im on it 24/2

LOL Good Man Yourself...Make sure to get Value for money;)
    sceptre

I don't think we have a mail fraud law here like they have in the US (though I'm well open to correction, I slept through most of my degree)

I believe it would be covered under the Sale of Goods & Supplies of Services act 1980- which prohibits various selling practices - in addition there is countless EU directives and regulations pertaining to such events in the protection of consumers
    Chris_533976
    Also, if you took it to court, the judge would probobly laugh at a bid for 50p.

Well Probably but If you were to initate anything such as this you would need alot of ppl in the same boat to be with and also the proof that this is a regular occurence from €ircom- I dont think its as much mail fraud as breach of selling regulations as pointed out above.

Thus what you could do is....

1. Go to the DCA (Director of Consumer Affairs- Carmel Foley I believe) w/ the complaint and have her office investigate this and have you reimbursed- This is exactly what her office is brill at ! Maybe you should look into it!?

2.Apply to the Small Claims Court for the nullification of the bill from €ircom on the basis that you never used the service and were being wrongfully billed!- Its only a 5iver to start proceedings which beats your c. £12,000 appearance in the High Ct. (if you get that far)

3.otherwise call up €ircom, become very irrate, have them cancel the bill and send you out an apology letter w/ a free £100 voucher for use in any €ircom store! (Try & see if it works!)

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement

well ill have the motherless bastards snd me out an iteamized bill, but knowing them it wont include calls under 5 minutes which will be useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JaneDoe

For any queries re telecommunications bills, the Director of Consumer Affairs will direct you to the Customer Complaints section of the ODTR. Same thing happened to me. Try ringing the ODTR on 8049600 and ask for Complaints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Knowing €ircom they'll charge you another 50p for the itemised bill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Occidental
    Knowing €ircom they'll charge you another 50p for the itemised bill

Actually they'll charge you several quid. I had this before when I had problems with those crappy diallers Esat handed out when preselect was a babby. Esat said I should get an itemised bill to prove there were calls slipping through, but of course the cost of the itemised bill was more than the value of the calls. Go figure.

adam

I asked was it free and he said yea; doesn’t look like im going to get it anyway.
    BTW it should be free now; afaik it was this month for itemized bills to become free. The odtr made a directive that they had to provide it free on request

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

You can get a free itemised Eircom bill, its available on their website, it costs nothing to use this facility, last months bill is always there in pdf format, so you can just print it off should you choose.

Once you apply for this facility(just register on the front page) online it takes a couple of days to kick in (this is eircom right...you may be entering it on the web but no doubt some rat in the business is calculating the numbers with his abucus :mad:

Oh and by the way make sure you add the 1891 110110 number to your circle of friends too, you can do this on line, but over the phone they say its impossible..words cannot express my loathing for this company :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement