Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is COBOL?

Options
  • 13-10-2001 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Browsing lists of IT jobs for that elusive 'part-time tech support' role I have seen about 50% of them are something to do with COBOL. Methinks I better learn COBOL at some time.
    Few Questions:
    What's it for? I was thinking server-type apps, am I right?
    What's its primary platform?Thinking Unix.
    And the kicker - is it difficult, ie, is it Object Oriented or totally different? Any other info would be appreciated.

cheers all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Hi,

COBOL is a dated language created specifically for the purpose of writing software for use in the finance sector. There are loads of legacy(old) banking/stock exchange systems that were written in COBOL. The primary reason COBOL people are hired these days is to improve old systems and/or to translate these systems into object-oriented languages.

My advice would be to learn a modern, object-oriented language like Java, and leave COBOL for the old and beardy. ;)

Bosco

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

aaahhh good. I was thinking it was weird, 'cos all I've learnt so far in college is Java and C++.

Advertisement