Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Mapper Website

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Would if I had an email address for you.

Well, all I have is one @iol.ie, and unless I'm very much mistaken, iol are not part of the passport network! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Oh yeah - my email address is lyconix@iol.ie so get adding :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Is there anything I can do with Flash? I know you dont want a flash intro and I can understand that completely I actually dont like them myself always hit that "skip intro" button!

Sure, we could use some flash, ask Lyconix, he's taking care of the design for the moment, then I'm doing the code, then we tweak the whole lot until it looks pretty. :)

The Irish Mapping Centre is now officially under construction!

Just to let you know what is going on behind the scenes, Phaxx is, at present, working on PHP code for the site, and I'm working on design and content. Once the PHP code and design elements are in place, I'll start adding content, actively updating the site and posting news updates. The recruition of additional staff is most likely to take place shortly after this stage.

The initial address for the site will be http://imc.sleepygeek.org so add it to your favourites list... the IMC will be here before you know it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

dont forget us, it cant be all worldcraft (it doesnt support q3a)

i use quark and qer the odd time

Initially, the focus will be on Half-Life and its mods, but don't worry - once the Irish HL mapping community has been developed into the site and a regular staff has been established, the site will expand to cover other games as well, if all goes as planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

racist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I`ll help in anyway i can i`m ****e at html and stuff but i likes me Worldcraft:D

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    racist

Half-Life has a larger community behind it than Q3 Arena, and we have to cater for the masses don't we? :) Besides, I'm into Half-Life more so than Q2 and Q3 so I'd rather make a site focused on a game I enjoy... If you don't like it, then I'm not stopping you from making your own site am I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

AFAIK there is php support in fortress.ie, if you have any questions direct them at MindPhuck, don't put down the service he is offering b4 knowing the full facts plz

Wasn't trying to put it down, didn't mean to sound ungrateful, we are grateful for MindPhuck's gesture of support though. The problem was that it's on an NT machine, hence no shell access, and so making small changes to the code would be a pain in the ass for me, since I'm so used to it... ftp is a bit annoying for that. Not to mention that I'm pretty much the admin of that one, so we can run a halflife server there if we need to. I already do sometimes, for small deathmatches among friends and such. :)

I checked the headers sent by the fortress.ie machine and PHP didn't make it's presense known as it usually does, so I feel it would be safe to assume it's not installed.

I do the main coding on the server on my lan, then upload it, and finish it off there, squish bugs and what have you.

I should be able to get a good chunk more done this weekend... shame I don't have a laptop so I can't continue coding on the bus. :)

Yeah if only I could spare a couple grand for a laptop :(

Originally posted by Lyconix

Half-Life has a larger community behind it than Q3 Arena, and we have to cater for the masses don't we? :) Besides, I'm into Half-Life more so than Q2 and Q3 so I'd rather make a site focused on a game I enjoy... If you don't like it, then I'm not stopping you from making your own site am I?

relax i was only extracting the urine :)
    and i intend to open up a quake 3 fortress section to the site, and possibly a 3d modeling section too. (mappers / modelers = almost the same :)

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk

and i intend to open up a quake 3 fortress section to the site, and possibly a 3d modeling section too.

Open up a Q3F section on which site?

boards.ie/vbulletin > Games > Game Editing > Irish Mapper Website

Well it would be nice to ASK first since I'm heading up the project, wouldn't it?

roffle.

the plan was for a community website. when you decided to be leader you must have forgoten that.

I'll be managing the site from the start, and I'm open to suggestions such as Q3A sections but I'd like to make it clear that there will be a dedicated staff for each section and only a few people will have direct FTP access to the site, recruited by invitation or application.

Thus far, the staff is as follows: Me and Phaxx. I'm working on management, design and content, and Phaxx is working on some design and PHP code for the site. All is going well so far, and there are already plenty of people looking forward to seeing the site up.

I've made my plans for Q3A clear already in a previous post - at first the site will focus on HL mapping and mods - but once it is firmly established and stable, the site will extend out to other games such as Q3A, UT and their mods.

DeadBankClerk, you cannot just recruit yourself without asking, nor can anyone else (although your enthusiasm is appreciated). The site team responsible for news and additional content will be organised carefully once the initial site design is complete. When it is, I'll be posting information on vacancies in the site staff and anyone interested can apply here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Originally posted by Lyconix
    Well it would be nice to ASK first since I'm heading up the project, wouldn't it?

I think you maybe overreacting a little! If you think not though thats your decision but I suggest you change the name to:

Irish Mapper ask to join the Community

*edit size didn't work!

• Advertisement

Maybe I did over-react a little but I just want the site to be organized since I've seen the demise of far too many sites that slipped up in that area...

Help is appreciated from everyone, but it has to organized through this thread or via email - thats not too much to ask I'm sure everyone will agree...

Behind the scenes, all goes well in terms of design :)

Advertisement