Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European broadband internet connections to surpass dial-up by 2004

Options
  • 13-10-2001 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

From http://www.europemedia.net/shownews.asp?ArticleID=5998

By 2004, dial-up internet access should no longer dominate European Union households as ADSL and cable modem connections are expected to boom, although broadband take-up across the EU will depend upon local loop unbundling and internet penetration levels, according to an EC funded study by research firm BDRC.

By 2008, 24 per cent of EU households should use cable modems, while only 12 per cent are expected to use phone lines to dial-up the internet by 2010. By this time, EU households should also have access to pure fibre access and fibre hybrid by 16 and 17 per cent respectively, according to the study.

EU states who have high domestic and small business internet penetration should see the quickest take-up of broadband access, though the research reveals that wherever cable modems are in competition with ADSL, the rollout of these technologies should go faster and be cheaper.

According to the EU information society Commissioner Erkki Liikanen, one of the Commission’s top priorities next year will be broadband promotion, especially since “the study clearly tells us that the future of the internet is broadband.” Liikanen added that “what Europe needs now is a forward-looking strategy to ensure that broadband internet comes quickly and to all European citizens."

I'm willing to bet that Irish households will make up a significant part of those 12 percentage points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by sceptre
    I'm willing to bet that Irish households will make up a significant part of those 12 percentage points.

I agree 110%. And to imagine that the government is constantly pushing Ireland as the "E-hub of Europe." As I said in another post we are, in fact, the "E-bog of Europe!"

You know, I don't know whether to be sad or just plain embarrased at the thought that in 2004 we will still be dialling-up to access the net and probably still paying per-minute charges while the rest of Europe will be enjoying flat-rate access, ADSL and other broadband connections. The government may as well forget about pushing Ireland as the "E-hub of Europe" because, if the current situation is anything to go by, places like Russia and Hungary and other "backwaters", if you like, will become the "E-hub of Europe."

Maybe it's time we all just packed up and left to a country that has the services we need. Imagine how the government would react the that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭P R O F A N I T Y

well it i dont have broadband by 2004 im pissing of out of the hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

yer me too, what can ya do :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

my deadline is end of 2002/early 2003 ... if I'm still in the same situation ... the its off to NY for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by aidan_dunne

Maybe it's time we all just packed up and left to a country that has the services we need. Imagine how the government would react the that?

Not well, I'd imagine. I remember when BT were trialling DSL in the UK, quite a few computer journos moved house to get in on the trials (not as ludicrous as it sounds, quite a few of them were single with few ties to a house and could pack their bags as they pleased)

Now I'm tied up in this country for the next two years at least (if I get my postgrad next year). After that, I'll be happy to find some excuse for myself and herself to move to the UK (and I will move - it will be important to my income as well as sanity then)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

"E-Hub Ireland" = "Hi we r the corrupt irish government...
    U r a large multi national.... Place come to ireland and repatiate your profits and we will give u a T3 and lots of grands :)

E-Hub ireland isn't even for SMEs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If you order ISDN now, you might get it installed in 2004. If you're really lucky... :D

Well okay, I admit that ISDN isn't broadband and certainly isn't "always on", but it's the closest I predict we'll ever get outside of Dublin or the other big cities.

Advertisement