Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compaq Presario

• 24-03-2000 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

What a load of unupgradable toss!!!

Went to stick in a CD writer. pooter has the bay for it but does it have a spare connection on the cable? Noooooooo! Does it even have a space to put in a new cable? nooooo. (I know, I can go and buy a cable with an extra socket on it but that's not the point...)

Looking for 3d card. Luckily I found out that my PC doesn't have the slot for a graphics card other than the one it comes with (normal, not 3d, not accelerated etc...)
    before I bought one. Soz to the guy I was buying the card off. I lost yer mail addy and I've been away.

How about Ram? Space for two sticks. That's it. They came with the pooter and they're stuck in!! I can't change them!!

My advice:
    Presario, a good little machine. Never gave me any hassle but if you EVER intend to add on to your PC, avoid compaq like the plague....

I'm off to knacker a Dell from work.. smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I stay away form large vendors/manufactrers.
    You don't realy know what you're getting untill you bring it home and take it to pieces.

Build your own, that's what I did and I'm very happy with my machine.
    It's very stable and has all the features I need, because I hand picked all components myself.
    Make sure you have enough PCI slots etc.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Gamblor

I KNow WWman will kill me for this .. but i have found Gateway to be pretty decent ...
    Always room for upgrade with there towers anyway.... Always room for upgrading and loads of stuff in side to fiddle with .. or blow ones self up with !!!!!

Well thats me ... i'm off to see schumi get pole

***** Feel my Evil Neon Claws *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I heartily agree, especially after my stint supporting the horrible things. Compaq love making wierdo riser boards, drive cages, cases etc.

And then there's the Bios which used a cutdown version of win3.x on a hidden partition.. and the softpaqs and the built-in graphics and the non-standard dimms and....

OH THE HURTFULLNESS!!!!!!!

Santas right, and it's not that hard because everything is standard. My biggest worry was whether the motherboard would fit in my case. It did because it's standard off-the-shelf, designed to go into any case hardware.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 26-03-2000).]

Advertisement