Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN Service Providers????

Options
  • 13-10-2001 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

I just got ISDN set up at home. Now while I wait 3 weeks for my TA to arrive I have the task of deciding on a service provider.

Mostly I'll be using single channel and the rare dual channel for big downloads (These are done in work). I'm on Dublin's northside so who in this area can pimp their Service Provider and who wants to warn me to stay away from others.

Also Links to sites or phone numbers to call would help me lots.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

You can get free single channel from Eircom.net and free dual channel from UTV Internet.

Eircom.net: 01 6496101

User: eircomnet
    Pass: eircomnet

You have to sign up for UTV on www.utvinternet.com

You can also get Dual Channel some of the time from Oceanfree (not sure why it only works some of the time though??) and they use Stac compression which gives you better performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Eircom, Indigo and I think Ocean give free single channel ISDN, you have to pay for an account that
    will allow you to use dual channel.
    Unison and UTV are (AFAIR) the only irish ISP's that give free dual channel.

The IIU site covers most of the irish IPS's with registration sites/numbers/usernames/passwords...
    http://iiu.taint.org/details/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Buy and Sell also give ya a free account. Tho i havent been able to get on with them in a couple of days. These are best for pings (generally) if ya ever play online games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Thanks for the help all.

Yeah I do play online.. Mostly CS, and I mostly suck arse. I've been lookin all these up.. Any of these give the lo call 1891 numbers????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yeah I do play online.. Mostly CS, and I mostly suck arse. I've been lookin all these up.. Any of these give the lo call 1891 numbers????

No !
    AFAIK, only eircom subscription account allows you to access the 1891 number, you sign up online for it, its about £24/mnth for isdn access on it.
    Reason y ?.....Unfortunately its called eircom monopoly. :mad:
    btw connecting at 128 to eircom is very unstable all the time, most of the time your pc will need a reboot to actually access at 128k !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Buy and Sell also give ya a free account. Tho i havent been able to get on with them in a couple of days. These are best for pings (generally) if ya ever play online games.

Every time I connect using Buy&Sell, I can't log in to any FTP servers or even get a ping off of any game servers, either in GameSpy or the game itself. So, I have to connect using Oceanfree to play online........

Anyone have this problem? It's driving me insane, as B&S always connects first time and "starts" up straight away on connecting (Oceanfree, Eircom sit there connected for around 2 minutes until finally the data starts to go and it's all OK, but there is always a 1-2 minute "dead time" after connecting when nothing happens).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

There is another 1891 number out there.
    Its CLub internet. I get great pings to servers all around Europe with em and its 120 for the year for isdn account which is cheaper than the eircom? Its also better imho. Only single line however.
    I think Clubi changed to Via-Networks tho. Still a great service i find.
    www.vianetworks.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Originally posted by Pimp Ninja
    . Any of these give the lo call 1891 numbers????

Unless you are going to be using it during the day the 1891 numbers are not any cheeper
    in the evenings and weekends.

As for which do, eh, I know Eircom and Indigo do... eh... *shrug* :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

As far as the 1891 no's go try dialing 1891 150 150 and using Eircomnet Eircomnet as username and pw...

Thats the number i diall on my subscription account,

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Unless you are going to be using it during the day the 1891 numbers are not any cheeper
    in the evenings and weekends

False.It's 25 % cheaper for off-peak.I have an 1891 Indigo number since a long time back...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

False.It's 25 % cheaper for off-peak.I have an 1891 Indigo number since a long time back..

right in one sense(46p/hr as opposed to 60p/hr) but if u include subscription charge, u would prob have to use over 200 hrs/mnth to make use of the 1891 no. worthwhile financially !! :mad:
    still a rip-off though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Ah yes subscription charges, *snigger*.

Afaik, any of the lucky punters to get signed up early to indigo's sub service, were never hassled for a penny, and are still not to this day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Ok Thanks for all the help folks.

I've set myself up with Buy and Sell and Eircom Net.

The Buy and sell one works perfectly, Connects at 64K, I can add and drop the second chanel whenever I please.

The Eircom one is kinda funny. I can only connect at 128K. It wont let me drop the B chanel, but if I pick up the phone in the house the line is free, and the connection is still reportes as 128K.

Anyway. Happy now and thanks again for all your recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

i know this thread is a bit old but i only got MY isdn in last night :)

i tryed all the free* isp's and founf that ocean was the best BY FAR !!! ping wise in games like cs and TF i was gettign 120+ on UTV - about 90-100 on eircom and 50-60 on ocean free - it was a joy to play cs again :D:D

* free - lol

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

An IOL Gold account will also allow you 1891 access.

Advertisement