Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Installation

Options
  • 14-10-2001 4:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

okay, i've run the installer and it said that everything installed correctly. but when i go to open a PHP file in IE, a 'save file' box comes up on screen instead.
    whats wrong?
    tahnks
    fionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Originally posted by me in MySQL topic
    You're the guy that was setting up the forum right? Can I ask you, why in the hell are you installing MySQL (a) at all, and (b) on your own PC???
    Sorry to be so scathing, but, as the Powercity guy would say, this madness must end now.
    Please replace all occurences of "MySQL" with "PHP", and re-read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'll assume you're running this off a webserver. Sounds to me that when the server gets the request for the php file it doesn't know what to do with it so it just passes the file back without processing it. Check your config.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 yngwie^

i am such a ****ing newbie to this **** so give me time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

He's installing it on his computer so he doesn't have to be connected to the net all the time while developing php. At least, that's my understanding of it.

Oh hang on this is IIS innit? Can't help, sorry. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 unsane

Originally posted by yngwie^
    okay, i've run the installer and it said that everything installed correctly. but when i go to open a PHP file in IE, a 'save file' box comes up on screen instead.
    whats wrong?
    tahnks
    fionn

Are you using IIS or Apache? If it's apache you got to edit you httpd.conf file, it's pretty much the same for on a windows machine or a unix box, either way you got to tell apache what to do with your .php files.

Have a look through the README files you got with your PHP distro and it should tell you exactly what to do

you are going to have to put something like this into your conf file

ScriptAlias /php/ "c:/php/"
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
    Action application/x-httpd-php "/php/php.exe"

assuming that you installed PHP into c:\php

also make sure that you placed your php4ts.dll file in the c:\windows\system dir or c:\winnt\system32 (for NT/win2k)

eh, if you are using IIS, hard luck, or read the install file with your php distro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Discharger Snake

Please replace all occurences of "MySQL" with "PHP", and re-read.

i vote this as the most idiotic unhelpful post of the year.
    obviously he wants to learn how to use php.

thankfully unsanes after giving a proper answer anyway, php is a server-side interperated language, which means it needs a webserver for it to run properly.. the webserver runs the php executable with the given code and passes back the output or whatever to the users browser.

go install apache for windows and follow the instructions with the php documentation for configuring it. (basically exactly what was mentioned above)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Originally posted by Kali

i vote this as the most idiotic unhelpful post of the year.
    obviously he wants to learn how to use php.

That has my vote too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Originally posted by yngwie^
    i am such a ****ing newbie to this **** so give me time!!!

We all have to start somewhere.
    To be honest you really are going to have to knuckle down and study this stuff yourself.
    (Assuming you want to learn it of course :))
    MySQL/PHP/Apache all come with very comprehensive manuals with troubleshooting sections to cover
    common problems like the one above.
    You should take the time to go through them and Understand what your trying to do.
    You are probably just going to get irritated with the whole thing if you have to keep running
    to boards.ie every step along the way, now there are a number of pelple here who might have
    a good idea where your going wrong and know how to fix it, but the majority of people won't,
    there will be cases where you don't get an anser to your question.

There are forums for PHP/MySQL/ikonboard/whatever where people will go to get help on that particular subject.
    The archives of those forums contain a wealth of information, you will probably come across someone
    who has has the same/similar problem as yourself and someone will have told them how to fix it.
    You could also use search engines to search for solutions to your problem.

All this waffling is because I believe that it is much better learning how to fish rather than
    comming here for a wee snack whenever your hungry.
    make sence ?

Advertisement