Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faster downloads

• 23-03-2000 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

I saw this thing in a mag a while back about a program that speeds up your downloads. It worked on the principle that at any time your connection is idle for 60% of the time, even when you are downloading.

Basically if you want to download a big file, it would open a second download halfway through the file and download it in half the time.

The problem is, when I went to the link in the mag it was dead, and I couldn't find it anywhere else. I even forget the name of it now.

Does anyone know of a similar program?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

www.getright.com

excellent proggie, it's now free (well they dont make you register it anyway smile.gif ) and its damn useful. It has a function called Segmented Downloading, which sounds quite like what you're looking for.

However you can only get so much performance out of a connection esp. if its 56k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

If i were u i'd get Gozilla instead of getright, www.gozilla.com methinks smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

getright alll the way.. no lame dinosaur sounds smile.gif

or am i just a nutter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

doesnt make a difference really, although I find getright slightly easier to use than gozilla.

segmented downloading is the facility to resume your download if it was broken (ie: dissed from server/isp), dont think it speeds up your download any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JimiSpandex

HEY

Actually there is a little program called 'Download Accelerator' speeds up your download and supports the feature described in previous messages, renewable downloads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No, that's just download resuming. GetRight's segmented downloading makes use of files stored on multiple servers. ie, if you can download at 4k/sec, and the server is only sending at 1k/sec, you can download segments of the one file from different servers simultaneously to get the maximum speed smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Damascus Quimby

Hi All,

I'm new at this so hopefully I wont make an
    **** of myself.

'Download Accelerator' works well.

It can be had on the buyandsell.net CD which is free (rack of them in a blockbuster video store, possibly other outlets also) and might save you a download.

The CD also has some usefull tools and apps on the CD, ICQ and a few others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

too late uve made a **** of urself now everyone thinks ur a ****.

look everyone point and laugh tongue.gif

or am i just a nutter?

Advertisement