Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Image Signatures

• 14-10-2001 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Now all i have to do is find a better sig image:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

the one you have is too big (filesize wise) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Yep I should post a few guidelines here.

First off, the file size - try and limit it to 15k at the very most.

Second, images should be no larger than 60 x 360 pixels.

Thirdly, I'd prefer no highly animated images (the file size will restrict you anyway).

07-APR-02: Okay, maybe I was too relaxed when I wrote this originally - I'll clarify - NO ANIMATED IMAGES!

Remember, if the image signature facility is abused, it will have to be reverted to text signatures.

Previous rules follow.

John.
    --
    http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum9/HTML/001322.html

Since we have enabled images in people's signatures, I would like to suggest the following guidelines be strictly followed in order to ensure that your signature image does not impede the enjoyment of others.

1. Please keep any and all signature images to a maximum size of:

HEIGHT: 60 px
    WIDTH: 360 px
    SIZE: 15k or less

2. Please make sure that your signature images DOES NOT contain profanity, bigotry, racism, or any other content that might be considered offensive by others.

3. While we do not come out and suggest that this site is "family friendly" in nature, we do not want this to be interpreted as an open floodgate for sensitive material. IF WE GET A COMPLAINT, IT WILL BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.

I am hoping by making this compromise that we will, in fact, be able to appease almost everyone. However, if the times comes that things start to get out of control, we will have to discontinue this policy.

Thanks,

Cloud at boards.ie
    --
    NB 15k or less! People not complying will have accounts disabled, or else the image sigs service will be terminated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

I'd seriously recommend putting this on a very strict trial period. I've seen many a forum destroyed by this (albeit with no restrictions on the image sizes), where everyone has at least one image in their sig, dramatically increasing the load time, and making fairly sure that I make a point of not coming back anytime soon. Once everyone catches on it could get quite ugly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

all we need now is custom avatars :D

*hint hint*

Me likes the custom sig though HMMM!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Agreed Discharger Snake.

We will have a vote on this facility at the end of the month (two weeks).

Thanks,

John.
    --

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sig pic? what sig pic?

Oh wait that's right, I clicked the option "Do not show signatures"

No more do I have to be amazed by that fantastic 4 line quote tacked on to the one line reply (it wasn't even funny the first time I read it), or the mindless vanity banners of peoples names in 3D with loads of lens flare. :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Agreed Hobbes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

although I fundamentally agree with Hobbes on this, I see nothing wrong with sig images such as mine or Cloud's which are small on screen and small (around 2Kb) on file size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

testing.... maybe a sig image will do as i apparently can't get an avatar...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Rah, ive to thank bard for mine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Don't forget, not all of us use the white default theme... bard, yours in particular looks awful on the black "cloud boards" theme.

Antialiasing is good, but not when it's the wrong colour :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

does dis work?

Good point Phaxx!
    I've used a grey background as the transaprent colour so it it doesn't look bad on the grey scheme-
    Think I might just do a bevel or sommit w/ no background to negate that problem:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

*rar*
    wan :D

| | | | |
    \|/ \|/ \|/ \|/ \|/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Think its harmless tbh as long as the imgs are kept v.small. (less than 2k

Shad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Sig pic? what sig pic?

Oh wait that's right, I clicked the option "Do not show signatures"

didnt notice that option before. thanks Hobbes!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Well? You like!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

erm lovely and all that but no animated gif's

Yup, and the fact that it's twice the allowed size. :P

[edit] How about flash sigs? :D Nah, people would abuse that and make animated ones, you'd spend half your time telling people their sig is too much[/edit]

• Advertisement

Awwwwwwwwww.................c'mon. Don't be such baba's.

I'm sure the nice boards people can make a small exception. :D

Nope, you're going to be smacked a bit if you don't remove it, because if they let you off, well, why can't I have a 30kb animated sig?

[edit] It sucks anyway, rotates far too fast, should go at a hundredth of that speed [/edit]

Originally posted by Digi_Tilmitt
    Well? You like!?

Why dont we have an autobahn in Ireland?
    Why dont we allow more younger drivers?

This is why....
    You give the avg. Irishman an inch and they fuppin well abuse it and steal a mile;)

I switched on signatures (curious). Oh sweet mother of gawd! :eek:

How about this for a sig? Under the 15k limit too :p

[snip]http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sodoherty/kjsra.gif[/snip]

Also here's tiamats img around 15k :p

SICKLE_spin.gif

{That made me feel slightly ill Hobbes, bad man. Cloud.}

{Cloud you meanie!}

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, I was being nice about this before (in another thread) but
    GOD DAMN THOSE HURT MY EYES!!

I'm going to talk to Cloud about outright BANNING animated gifs. and strictly enforcing image and size issues.

Digi T, why should we make an exception for you and not everyone? why are you special?

Grrrrr.... /exec anger.cfg

DeV.

Heh, mine was a joke. I don't like sigs.

As for Tiamats. Here is his sig again only 10k. Paintshop Pro's animation workshop has a resize animation option (r0x0rs)

SICKLE_spin_small.gif

Tiamat, if you use any of these please copy them from my area. don't link directly to them. :p

Okay I'll disable it for now and use that resized one when I get the time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Ugh, sig images are evil. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<dahamsta switches off sigs>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Damn, yesterday I didn't care one way or the other. Now I have a bloody image sig and I'm suddenly terrfied that they're going to be taken away. Daft, but that's life.

Cloud said he'd prefer "no highly animated images". I quite like mine. It's animated but not too much (IMO) and it's well inside the dimensional and size guidelines.

Oh well, if it goes I have a (boring) backup image.

K

ah, that's better...

adam

Here it is Adam! Wouldn't like you to miss out

shakeysig.gif

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Praetorian

80P's is the winner so far...simple yet soo effective!

I was gonna install 3d studio max until i saw the 15k limit...ouch :)

<adam kicks kix>

Not bad actually Kix, although maybe the border's a bit wide. And, eh, shouldn't it be 'ecks'?

Of the ones I saw so far, I liked 80p's, and particularly Cloud's. But I don't see them any more, so they could be pink donkeys making out with orange, uh, men, for all I care... :)

adam

Thanks Gents

I owe it all to little friend of mine called....

Xara X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

lol hobbes, TW or SA?

Kix, your sig rocks:) best ive seen so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Dustaz

Personally, Dustaz... I prefer yours... but I'm biased :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

3dsmax, blurbeta plugz, NIN Sin font & photoshop :)

Originally posted by Dustaz

Cheers Dustaz. I'm kinda envious of 80p's myself.

I've just been looking at mine again and it looks quite a bit like the THX (Lucas sound stuff) logo as it would have been seen in the opening credits of Seven, had it actually been included.

K

Now if it *sounded* like THX... :)

adam

• Advertisement

Yeh Kix yours is very like the se7en intro- I like it -simple yet effective-
    I like Clouds as well bcos of the inner thingys in the letters- pretty cool:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I think image sigs make the boards look very messy. There are some very neat, tidy, well designed ones out there, which look nice, and don't bother me at all, but unfortuanly the majority of them are crap and are simply messy.

Another problem is us folks who surf the boards in work(theres a few of us :) ) It looks bad to have a page full of big graphics open compared to the origional boards.

And i also think the text sigs where good, a bit of tought went into alot of them, and the image sigs make them give less impact.

If anything, I think if they had to follow certain format guidlines like transparent backgrounds etc, just to make the boards look tidy again.

Just my 2 cents worth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

or how about we give everyone a pre defined image??

oh wait thats already done...

no need for image sigs, the avatars do nicely, make them unique to each person ?? Coding might be easier than trying to enforce image sigs guidelines..

and then also allow some people to submit their own?? can't go out of guidelines with those...

if there's an argument over copying, get people to work it out themselves, or neither of them get the image..., person who used it first gets to keep it?? (got mine first day of avatars :) make unique if ye can :D)

image sigs look silly, soon you'll have those drawn MS shop job

"I IS L33T" in big red crayon, and you'll be banning/censoring people left right and centre....

the boards are tidy, lets keep em that way....

If your so upset about sigs, switch them off in your profile. Let the kids have thier toys, it keeps them quiet.

should I remind you that as a moderator you should really leave them on to moderate properly?? :)

will only create problems in trying to moderate them all the time, and will be ongoing rather than being a quick fix type of thing, unique avatars is the way to go man....

Even if I could see them I can't moderate signatures (even on my own forum). Only the powers that be can do that.

ah, but wouldn't it be on you to do a reportage on bold users??

I demand you turn them on, lest your moderatorship be removed (what excuse for the spam then? ;))

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Any boards user can report an abuse to me (or on admin board).
    Moderator or not is irrelevant on the admin board, we'll investigate and take action if necessary.
    It juts happens thats Mods tend to be the most active ijn general
    (our good fortune with the people we choose as Mods mostly).

Anything bigger then mine or more animated then Kix's and it should be reported I thinks.

I have sigs turned on now, but if you dont want them then you dont have to have them (use the USER CP to turn them off)...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by DeVore
    Ok, I was being nice about this before (in another thread) but
    GOD DAMN THOSE HURT MY EYES!!
    Agreed, I really could've done without seeing that.
    Those things make me feel a tad woozey...
    Have a bit of respect for other boards users who could be badly effected by manky images like that. <puke> <barf>

Originally posted by DeVore
    ...or more animated then Kix's ...

Lordy. I've become a standard.

K

• Advertisement
Advertisement