Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Ram, ease of intallin + cost

• 14-10-2001 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm gettin a second hand laptop soon (not sure where from yet) but thats the plan, anyhew, i was just wondering, how easy it was to upgrade the things, ie how expesive is it for getting a new hard-drive and new ram. Is it as cheap as normal comp ram is these days? And would i be able to slap it in myself with the same ease as i do with my pc.

Cheers,
    Gideon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

It all depends on the laptop unfortunately...

If you get a half decent one, there'll be RAM expansion slots either directly under the keyboard or on the underside of the laptop... the RAM itself is a couple of quid more expensive MB for MB than standard SDRAM.

As far as HDDs go, again it depends on the laptop. Some have handy removable drives that are easy to access, some don't... but yes most can be replaced if you have enough time to faff about with 'em. Not sure about the cost, but expect it to again be slightly more than standard 3.5 inch IDE drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Sometimes it's fairly cheap - 128megs for my Dell Inspiron is about 40 quid. The same for a particular Dell Latitude is 125 quid.

Try
    www.crucial.com/uk/

Pop in the manufacturer and so on and it'll give you a fairly competitive price. Reliable people at Crucial, I think.

Advertisement