Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texture Artists, Modelers & Mappers Needed For New Irish Game Company

• 14-10-2001 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, I’m looking for more people to work with us in there spare time to become part of our team and produce our own freeware game. We currently have a downloadable techdemo, which you can find on our site at www.torcinteractive.com . This demo runs on our own engine and has gotten very positive feed back from a lot of people including Graeme Devine (id software) and Dave Perry (Shiny). We are all currently producing this game in our spare time to enter it in various competitions in the New Year, but are lacking in content. We need more texture artists, modelers and mappers to get the volume up on the content to have a freeware game that should launch everyone who is part of the team into fulltime careers in gaming (the techdemo almost do that already this week!). On top of our current staff we need 2 mappers, 1-2 texture artists, and 1 modeler.
    If you think you have what it takes to make a game, and don’t mind working hard in your spare time, then email me at damien@torcinteractive.com with examples of you work. Screenshots for levels and models will do for now – but I’ll need jpg’s of a texture pack from the texture artists.
    This is the biggest opportunity for anyone in Ireland to get themselves into the gaming industry – so if you want a career in gaming, visit the site, see what we’re at, and send me you best examples of your work to date.

Good Luck,

Damien
    Content Manager/Level Design
    Torc Interactive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

i love to join up but i can't
    1.i don't know any c++

2.I'm not great mapper

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Me too, would love to be involved, but I don't think I have the experience.

I've worked with worldcraft a lot, made plenty of little halflife maps, so.. I dunno.

Currently learning vc++, but sure that's no good to you. :)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

POST EDITED - EMAIL SENT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i'm thinkin about it...

i might send an email tomorrow....

-Drake

btw site=class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

yeah the site is class
    i might start doing another map aswell but is it a quake style game or a counter strike style?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Damien (mapper)

Just to clear a few things up. There is no real need to know programming. We have excellent programmers who worry about that. I am only concerned with how well you can map, model, or texture. There is a simple scripting language used for shader effects and will be needed for scripting entities like a func_move_rotate etc, but all in all, nothing to worry about.

As for the game, it is a FPS but single player. There will also be net code for deathmatch and co-op's (possibly CTF - why not?). The freeware game is called FATE, and the details or on the site.

I want to here from you if you are interested, willing to work hard in you spare time, and feel you can contribute to this project. Don't think its not within your reach - send me you work and I'll let you know if you have a chance at making the grade.

Damien.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Well like I said, I always vary my work, and am constantly downloading texture's and texture packs to spice up new and old maps alike - I take my time mapping, and have lots of spare time... I enjoy mapping, so would have no problems comitting myself to helping with anything you'd like, beit level design, prefabs, texturing or maps themselves - Pity I can't submit any of my work yet :(

what program do you use to make the maps?

worldcraft?
    radiant?

wtf? :D

here's a screenshot of one of my maps...

needs work :D

pimp1.jpg

^ that was/is for a single player episode for half-life that me and my friend [RaVeN] were/are developing...

enjoy. [please enjoy! :)]

Drake is the "Rock" of the Mapping Community...

Im just a lackey that barks orders around boards / irc and (tries to) make map(s) :D

Gah Drake, show some of the pictures from the CS maps you've been making - Some of them were very very tasty!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    Drake is the "Rock" of the Mapping Community...

Omg you own me :D

i'll post a pic.

snowcity.jpgsnowcity2.jpg

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Damien (mapper)

It’s nice to see the enthusiasm guy’s. I just want to let everyone know that I have been working like mad to get thru people stuff and review then with others of the team. RopeDrink – you said you had a map hosted… would anyone who has it be able to get screenshots off to me??
    Keep up the great work, and send what you can as no sure decisions have been made yet…

I’m currently setting up my PC for CS, and if anyone wants to send me there map for me to run around in – please fire it on.

There still seems to be no texture artists or modelers coming forward, so if you do any of these, and think you could cut it, fire me on some work examples.

I could well see some of you at the Galway LAN,

‘Til then,

Damien.
    Torc Interactive.

I'll be at the galway lan, maybe i'll spot you there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

heres examples of my work

i think galway ppl r the best mappers, eh drake?

ad.JPG

ad3.JPG

geo.JPG

there. sending email soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Everybody else seems to be posting pics so what the hell....
    de_ms00.jpg
    de_ms000.jpg
    There..

Yeah, de_gravel was placed on the VAR server until the owner converted it to IrelandCS1.1 - It was my very first map ever, and I was very happy, but it was pretty naff until I retextured it, added a rake of sounds, and the popular train tremors that everyone loved :D

It should still be on the server - Drake may have some pics... Infact he may have the download link... I must emphasise that it was my very first map - But still, I loved it and so did the testers... Was really small, lots of sounds, and lots of fire fights :D

Here are the only pics of my other map that I could access from the cafe...

de_tinban0001.jpg
    de_tinban0002.jpg
    de_tinban0015.jpg
    tinban0006.jpg

60%-85% Complete with lovely sounds and atmosphere + custom music... I've had to stop mapping for a while seeing as I don't have my comp at the mo...

Actually Im going to do a search for the gravel pics... Be right back :D

:/

i think i can find the download link for gravel...

i'll have a look tomorrow, i'm running out of time now :((((

Pic :D
    torc0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Damien.. im well interested.. ill talk to FB about it... :)

"LOSE me.. Hate me.. SMASH me..
    ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

cfx.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Q3F_QWBAM Quake 3 fortress quakeworld bam....

oooomph..........

That's a nice pic Drake, what texture's did you use for that!?

• Advertisement

de_rotterdam.wad and de_prodigy2k.wad

download the 1.3 [newest] version of de_rotterdam
    the wad is in the zip...

as for the prodigy2k one, cant remeber where i got it

i think it was

www.thedoenerking.de

maybe :)

here is some pics of my un-released map q3f_october1 - the hunted for red october

october_10_tn.jpgoctober_11_tn.jpgoctober_ls_tn.jpg

october_1_tn.jpgoctober_2_tn.jpgoctober_3_tn.jpg

october_4_tn.jpgoctober_5_tn.jpgoctober_6_tn.jpg

october_7_tn.jpgoctober_8_tn.jpgoctober_9_tn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

deadly lookin map deadbankclerk, must get q3f

Advertisement