Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The story of me and Eircom

Options
  • 14-10-2001 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

My e-mail to Eircom

I am enquiring about my ISDN line I ordered about six weeks ago, I would like to now when it will be installed my order is under the name Manuel Da Silva and my home phone number is *******, I am in Leixlip. I would also like to know when ADSL will be launched. And I would also like to know why you dont feel its necisary to inform me about my ISDN line, I was told it would be 4 weeks approximately to be installed, After four weeks despite people telling me Eircom always take months to install lines I was told my line would be installed later that week and to ring the Engineer with a number to arrange a date. After ringing the engineer he told me that they only did the North Dublin area and to ring back the SIDN team to tell them that, I then rang the ISDN team and was told they had made a mistake and it would take another 2 weeks to be in que for the leixlip area! Eventually I was contacted again telling m that my line would be installed oon and to arrange a date however I was unable to take the call at the time and I said I would ring back in 30 minutes, when I did his I was told it was the wrong division of Eircom and was transfered agian and again all together I rang 10 times to difirent numbers and in the end I got no answer! If this is the wrong area to send this information then YOU send it I am sick of calling difirent places and getting nowhere. I DEMAND a reply VERY SOON again if this is the wrong are please foward it to the right area as I will not contact Eircom again I am sick of the delay! Please enclose this information to the person you forward it to just in case that area is the wrong one because if I get a reply stating "Thank you for your interest in Eircom ISDN services however we cannot provide you with the information you require please ring this number yadda yadda yadda" I will cancel ALL my services to Eircom and demand I be reembursed the damage done by not having my line installed. I suggest Eircom involve themselves more in to the internet community. Thank you for your time, and thank you in advance for your reply.

-Artur Da Silva

You wont believe this!
    Eircoms reply

Thank you for you interest in Eircoms Hi-speed and Broadband services. Im afraid we cannot give a date for the official launch of ADSL in ireland. Regarding your Hi-speed line we suggest you contact ISDN services on freephone 1901.

Thank you.

WTF! what sort of company is this?

From the looks of things Ill be ddefinetly taking part in the Blackout main reason being I won't have a line to Dial up on anyway! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I ordered my "hi-speed" in July 2000. Didnt recieve it until October 2000.

In an email Eircom said "sorry for the delay, we dont usually keep people waiting this long"

The engineer told me everyone had to wait that long :/

Adsl is going to be subject to the same "snail pace" approach :(

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Is there any other companies installing ISDN or even DSL?

If not do you think companies in N.Ireland would install lines here? since they have DSL in N.Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

A friend of mine got ISDN installed from eircom.

Unfortunately they forgot to tell him that he needed an ISDN modem for ISDN to work. Or that he didnt need his regular line anymore. They installed it and left him to figure it out.

So now he's paying line rental for the ISDN and the Regular line. And he bought an ISDN modem, which is SUPPOSED to come as part of the package.

My friend's a bit thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It was you, wasnt it, pie? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Originally posted by DaSilva

WTF! what sort of company is this?

Lmao, a crooked & **** one that is, aaah, so many times have I dreamt of rounding up some friends and breaking into eircom grounds and changing all there vans from eircom, to eircon... or just hurl some rocks at there main building
    =*)
    me and my dreams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭P R O F A N I T Y

Is there any other companies installing ISDN or even DSL?

If not do you think companies in N.Ireland would install lines here? since they have DSL in N.Ireland?

llu would need to be in bfore they would touch eircoms lines

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Moriarty
    It was you, wasnt it, pie? ;)

I wish I could afford to have one! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

I ordered my ISDN line in feb 1998, it wasn't installed until September 1998.... wtf like - at that time I knew people in the UK who had theirs installed on the same day they rang up.... shoddy pack of ****s eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, 'tis all about who you know. A few stories:
    A friend of mine convinced his Dad that he needed an ISDN line for college(which he didn't). Anyway, his Dad rings a contact - and wham! 2 days later, they have ISDN.
    We were getting some trees removed from our garden, when the hapless lumberjack sliced our phone cable with a chainsaw. Now, this is usually chargeable by eircom, and they take like two weeks to come down and fix it. But of course, this lumberjack has a friend in eircon who arrives out the next day and fixes the line, marking it down as a 'line fault'.No charge.
    And finally, I know a guy well, who works in that 'feet on the street' thing, where eircom try to win back customers they've lost to Esat and others. A friend of his(already with eircon) fancies and ISDN line, and by the following Monday he has it.No Problems.

And yet, when you fail to pay your bills, they can't switch your line on for a whole week!!! wtf is that about?! They dont even have to do any engineering, just hit a fúckin switch!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

thats exactly true fergal... its all about who you know..

My dad who works for a division of Eircom. He ordered isdn, hey presto arrived in 3 days. Switched on immediately.

A friend of mine orders isdn. He rings up 3 weeks later to enquire where it is... "Oh yes sir you family mailbox will be installed in a week" Family ****in mailbox he says, i ordered feckin isdn.

Chief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

heh we all have our stories of crap Eircom service it seems. Here's mine :)

Staying in a rented house with 2 others. One decides to leave and his name is on the phone bill. We ring Eircon and say "abc is leaving can we change the name on the bill to xyz". No problem they say.

We get cut off.

Ring Eircon. Explain the situation (btw never trust them when they say they'll ring you back they won't). Ask them to connect us again.

They connect us - at a different number.

"Hello Eircon, can we please have our old number back we've been using it for 2 years". No problem again says Eircon.

We get cut off.

"We're cut off again". Get reconnected at old number. Next month, get *two* phone bills, 2x line rental etc for old and new number.

Ring Eircon. "aaah sure just ignore the 2nd bill". Ok.

We get cut off

Ring Eircon credit control, who reconnect us. Still getting two bills, so I guess soon to be cut off again. Here's hoping the day arrives soon when their good for nothing company is no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

While living in a town in Cork, I was given the telephone number 3-53-23. We noticed that we got an awful lot of wrong number calls, I am talking three or four a day.

Finally the light dawned on me when an old fella got us with a wrong number and I asked him what number he was trying to dial. He said, it is a company's number, and I am dialing the number at the top of their letter. I asked him to read the number and he started with 353. Then I realized all these poor people were dialing the country code then the area code, then the number. If they were people living in the 023 area, by the time they got past 353-23, our telephone started to ring. I told the old fella what the problem was, and he said, "Well why the @#$%do they print the numbers on the top of the letter if we aren't supposed to use them?!!"

I rang up Eircom and told them what I found and the people in customer service had a hard time understanding what the problem was, but eventually we got a new number.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by TomF
    If they were people living in the 023 area, by the time they got past 353-23, our telephone started to ring. I told the old fella what the problem was, and he said, "Well why the @#$%do they print the numbers on the top of the letter if we aren't supposed to use them?!!"

Now that's funny (obviously really annoying for you but really bloody funny).

Must be the joy of this "hey we're on the internet, we'd better put our international number on out letterhead notepaper. And we'd better put a plus before the international code incase people are ringing from some particular places or phone companies where they use 010 instead of 00"

LOL. I'm going to tell people that story (after I spice it up with details of the massage parlour in Bandon that gets international calls)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

It was nearly two years ago and I was curious about cable intenret access and dsl, so I rang various cable operators and Eircom about it, basically asking them for pricing and availability and the like. At that time ( Cablelink had their page up on cable internet access so that gotme interested ), I rang cablelink, who werent sure when Cable was coming out. Fair enough, I thought, as it was early days. I rang eircom, and asked about a 'broadband , and they told me it was available ( this was before Eircom maketed ISDN as hi-speed ), and they gave me the prices and availability. I asked what technology they were going to be using, ISDN. Lying gits. I asked about leased lines ( I had no idea about the cost of them ), and they said they would ring me back when one of their 'experts' around the next day. Cool. They never rang back. I rang again with enquiries about some sort of fast internet connection, and they just kept on forwarding me onto each department, bouncing me between Eircom and EircomNet like a ping pong ball. Eventually, I would be on the phone to some oul biddie who had probably never even heard of a computer.

Whenever I emailed them about DSL, they sent me back the same marketing jive, 'We arent sure when DSL is out blah', then they sent me an email telling me ( around November 2000 ) that they plan to have trials running in 8 weeks, with a phased national rollout. Its nearly a year later and they havent done much for that timespan. When I sent them a letter at the start of May this year, basically asking them about DSL again and complaining about the lack of a good service in Ireland, they sent me a bull**** mail identical to the one they had sent me at Christmas.

That just goes to show you how they listen to their customers. If 'any' other telco acted like this towards their customers in 'any' other country, I can almost gauruntee they would be long out of business.

My rant ends here

Matt

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by hmmm
    We get cut off.

[snip]

They connect us - at a different number.

[snip]

We get cut off.

[snip]

We get cut off

They would so have gotten a solicitor's letter from me by now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

You think getting its bad you try getting rid of it its damn near impossible ive been trying for months to get them to take it out the problem is this im still paying huge bills for the service and ill either have to get it cut off first and hope to god they will connect me to the old system again within a reasonable amount of time or live with a mobile which probably get even more expencive and without a net connection.what a great choice we have in this country* frigging gangsters*

Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

I'm sorry to revive a dead post but I resent the E-Mail to them and got a difirent reply!
    Eircom's Second reply!

Hi,

Thank you for your recent email.

Firstly I wish to apologise on behalf of the company for the delay in having
    your ISDN line installed. I have spoken to **[persons name]** in our IDSN department
    and she, in turn, contacted the engineer and he gave us a rundown on the
    situation. At the moment the engineer is unsure as to whether there is cable
    available in the area. He is calling out to the area either late this
    evening or first thing tomorrow morning. If he finds that there is cable
    available he will be in contact with you and have the line installed as
    quickly as possible. If he discovers that there is no cable available in the
    area he will contact you tomorrow to discuss an alternative solution. I will
    check the order again tomorrow to make sure that you are contacted and kept
    up to date. I hope this will be of some assistance to you.

Regards,

****[persons name]****
    Customer Services.
    This is the part that annoy's me the most!

At the moment the engineer is unsure as to whether there is cable available in the area. He is calling out to the area either late this evening or first thing tomorrow morning. If he finds that there is cable available he will be in contact with you and have the line installed as quickly as possible

Hands up someone who knows someone in Leixlip with ISDN! ISDN is available in Leixlip because a guy on the next road from me has it! What a bull$hit excuse!

And by the way, an Enginner never came out!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Hands up someone who knows someone in Leixlip with ISDN! ISDN is available in Leixlip because a guy on the next road from me has it! What a bull$hit excuse!
    It's possible (especially given the growth rate in Leixlip) that the cabling there is full to capacity. If you don't have a full pair back to the exchange, you can't have ISDN.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Keep it up DaSilva. Or as Big Jack would say...

"Look at Opel now!"

no no, that's not it... oh yeah...

"Put 'em under pressure!"

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I got my ISDN installed within 2 weeks.
    But then after all those £300 phone bills I'd bloody well expect a prompt installation.
    Just one of the lucky ones I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement