Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing CPU

• 14-10-2001 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I am trying to install a 533mhz PIII onto me old gateway system a 450 PII with a Tabor II motherboard .
    I think this board will take a PIII because i think that's what is in the G6-500's .
    The jumpers i have to change i think are the J7B1 to configure because the description on the online manual is that the setting configure sets the processor speed.
    But what else do i do do i just slot it in and hope or is there something else i have to do

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I just flashed me bios upto the latset release so it supports PIII but when i put in the processor i only hear a series of beaps and me monitor stays on stand by mode .
    Any healp would be much appreciated thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Depends what the beeps are, Babe. Take a look on the website of your motherboard to see if it gives a guide to the beep codes, which vary from motherboard to motherboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

unfortunately its not worth your while, the 533mhz pIII runs on a 133mhz bus, and will only run at 350 mhzon your board. So unless you got the chip for a song, its not really worth it. You need to get a p3 500 or 600. I believe a friend of mine is selling a p3 500, his email is andy_mullen101@hotmail.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Further, afaik the tabor 2 boards were not coppermine compatible. Though you should be able to add up to a p3 katmai 600mhz with the latest bios rev.

The same bios update is used accross a wide range of tabor revisions, some of which support p3 coppermines up to a theoretical 1.2gb (1gb was as high as the slot 1 100mhz fsb chips went afaik)

Anyhow, if you have a look at the board and post its part number i can double check this (should be a seven digit number starting 400xxxx)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

since the 533 isn't an option i wont buy a processor for me pc i would rather buy a new motherboard and processor probable athlon

• Advertisement
Advertisement