Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM help

• 14-10-2001 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hey could someone help me with a RAM problem. A few months ago I got PC133-333-520 256MB(just typed that off the little sticker on it:)) Anyway I put it in all the RAM slots on my computer and it didnt recognize it on the start up. When you go into set up it says 128ram and 256 in another bit.

Anyway windows doesnt start up it says device 3 not found or something along those lines. Sorry tbh I didnt have a clue what I I'm doing. From what I've heard there are 2 different types of RAM. I have a standard DELL Dimension would that be the problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

the ram you bought is just called PC133 and then what ever size.
    The are 3 main speeds used in this type of ram 66/100/133 - depending on your machine speed will determine which you have but that wont matter in your case as PC133 will run at the lower speeds anyway.

My suggestion is to remove the old ram and put the new ram in its slot and test on its own - if you still have the same problem the ram may be faulty or its just incompatible with your pc (it happens) - recommend getting your ram from dell or their suppliers unless you know that the particular make works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What kind of processor have u got? The Mobo mightn't like the amount of RAM you're shoving down it's throat(if it's really old).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Mobo might also not like SDRAM.

Is it a PIII or P4 w/RDRAM? RDRAM should be mentioned somewhere in the manual if it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

DDR or Rambus dosent come listed as PC133 - so I think we can rule that out.

Its usually best to stick with the same manufacturer as the OEM uses otherwise you think it may work and just to waste your money it probably wont!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Dell's usually specify a particular make and brad of RAM to use, try www.dell.com look up your pc there, and it'll tell you

had a problem like this before where a dell wouldn't take notice of a new DIMM module, even though the same DIMM worked in other dell's of different models, and any other computer. The brand was the same but the code number was different to what was recommended.

Also quality doesn't seem to make a difference either, bought a pc133 32 meg dimm for a friend with a dell, only worked as 8 meg's, swapped it with a pc100 32meg DIMM and away it went.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by EvilGeorge
    DDR or Rambus dosent come listed as PC133 - so I think we can rule that out.
    I meant the stuff in the machine at the moment. I never said DDR btw.

Though if the PC133 RAM fits it should be the right type. ;)

Perhaps I should not reply just before running off for lunch ;)

Jeez, and I even called the motherboard the mobo. Crikey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

RIght if i was to stick some PC133 in with my current PC100, does the PC133 clock itself doen to 100 or just not work....?

It should work at the speed of 100MHz.

Advertisement