Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone ever hear anything from Colt?

Options
  • 15-10-2001 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

A couple of months ago there was a thread on here re DSL providers and it mentioned that Esat and COLT were interested...has anyone heard anything from COLT?

The reason I ask is cos the Court in the eircom vs the Regulator case last week told eircom to contact 3 people but I don't think COLT or UTV Internet were mentioned - so that means that it's all a PR smokescreen from them??????:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

no i havent heard anything about them and of course it wouldn't be the 1st time a telco has promised a lot and didn't deliver-

Your right about the court proceedings colt didn't get a mention - unless their trading under a different name...????
    In court yesterday, Mr Anthony Collins, for Eircom, told Mr Justice Kelly his side would, within seven days, inform Esat, Kokomo and Nevada of the action. Those parties then have the option of applying to be notice parties to the proceedings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭P R O F A N I T Y

i think Nevada own colts fibre ring, not sure.

but utv new wont bring adsl out jere because they havent in the north.
    as for colt, they are more a bussiness isp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Hi

Someone I know in Dublin got 155Mbits Symmetric IP feed from COLT in the past few months outta Dublin.

Fibre all the way from their premises.

Apart from some one off digging costs, the cost of the 155Mbit itself was something like £100,000 (UK) per annum...for which is £650 per Megabit per year when you think of it.

They have a very good service reputation compared to any of the Irish lot, very little downtime.

0 Contention rate
    1 Mbit up and 1 Mbit down

ahhhhhhhhh lovely

M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The original thread is here

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I dont supose they're offering a 1mb line for home users?

....Na didnt think so :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

How bout!

Locals set up a data co-op

Get 155 to the middle of the hood. (you'd get 32 -64 IP addresses as well you know)

Set up wireless hubs with the 'real' IP addresses

Chuck 1Mb here and there outta the hub to the hood.

It would take 155 people and the local credit uniion (in return for a smidge of bandwidth) may deal with collecting the dosh coz they're open.

Eircom gets not 1p outta the whole thing.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

hmm maybe irish wan should think about contacting colt, that seems to be a good price allright.

Advertisement