Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best ISP ?

Options
  • 15-10-2001 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

NOT taking into account distance from local exhange, line quality, and all the other excuses that eircon uses, my question is this

which ISP gives best average speed, with least amount of disconnections / hangs etc....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

One of the great philosophic questions of our time but one best suited for Net/comms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭acidweb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

i find digiphone on line to be very fast. i can get sustained download speeds of up to and including 5.9kb/s which is preactically a maxed out 56k connection.

the only downside that i can see is that sometimes at peak times, by that i mean peak usuage times, it can pause, this can be very anoying for gaming and i sometimes loose ssh connections because of it. but I use screen and BitchX to irc with so its all ok :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

The final and definitive answer -- It depends :)

After the Eircon fiasco with the password changing, I started using Indigo for a few months
    and it was great, but then it went all kruddy slow/laggy/disconnects, rather irritating.
    So I tried oceanfree for a while, and that was worse, then used Unison for a bit,
    and that was pretty good, though it was not the best for gaming on irish servers (fine for uk though :))
    So at the minute I'm using indigo for gaming (though it can be horrendus at times)
    and Unison for general email/browsing and malarkey.

How much this had to do with my phone line, I don't know, there is probably too many points on it,
    2 phones and an answer machine in the hall, a phone on the landing, a phone in my parents room
    and my PC in my room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

No seriously I find great results with Oceanfree, believe it or not. I can get a good connection 46.6666 and hold it for about 3 hours. Playing Games online I generally get pings around the late 100's to the early 200's on Irish servers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Connection speeds vary greatly and no-one isp
    inately better or worse but for what its worth UTVinternet
    is behaving itself at the mo with typical speed of 45kps.

Mike.

Advertisement