Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MY PC won't boot : (

• 15-10-2001 2:30pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right.

I got a new telly. I was delighted to see an S Video connection on it (cause my vid card has a TV-Out slot). So I thought to myself "Lets watch a DVD on the telly Dav" and things didn't really go according to plan...

What happened:
    Moved my PC from my room to beside the telly in the sitting room. Hooked up the S Video lead. Plugged in the mouse, keyboard, power supply (and even the monitor). Hit the power switch and the PC bleeps at me 5 times in quick succession (as opposed to a normal single bleep). Nothing comes throuh the on monitor (all plugged in correctly and test signal displaying as normal). Moved it all back to my room and double checked all the connections. Still the multiple bleeps as before and nothing coming through on the monitor.

My thoughts:
    Something internal came loose as I moved it from A to B. I haven't had a chance to open her up and take a looksee. The thing is, I've never seen anything like this before so I'm wondering if there's anything else that may be wrong (incase it's not a loose connection within). The paranoia took over for a while and I was sure my BIOS was dead (or something), but I'm not sure how that'd have happened - I've got surge protection and there haven't been any power failures).

Help and suggestions are greatly appreciated and I'll have results of my preliminary investigations tomorrow!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Dav,

Open up your puter, re-seat your ram and cpu. Try powering on again. If that doesnt work, jumper your cmos on the motherboard and power on again.

If you have a spare pc/parts, try swapping in that ram or cpu.

Let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Beeps can mean anything from motherboard to cpu to graphics card... i'd say its probably the graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

Ok,
    well if you have the motherboard manual it will tell you what continous beeps means.

It is prob memory or video card.
    I thought continuous was memory,
    but i would say the video card has come lose.
    Anyway,
    just open machine and check everything

toil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Beeping?

1. Your graphics card has come loose.

2. Your RAM is loose. (Sounds more like this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Graphics card IMHO.

Had the same problem with a HP Vectra all the cards were held down with a clip rather than screws. Had to reseat the graphics card twice. After than I removed the clip and screwed the cards in place. Never had a problem after that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

id say graphics card
    ram beeps ar emore like 1 - 8-2 beeps or something wierd. but definately more than the 5 beeps you are getting.

re seat graphiocs card an you should be fine dav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

...But I reckon it is the gfx card.
    Reason: You plugged the S-Video into it.
    Only thing you touched really.
    Is it possible you coulda lifted the card a bit??

Thew RAM follows close second, a short caused by some loose dangling wire etc. is a distant 3rd cause.
    Also, it's not different makes of mobo that have different beep sequences, it's the different BIOS, example Award, AMI, IBM Surepath (hehe) etc.

You coming to the GalwayLan Dav???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Cheers lads - it was the graphics card coming loose!
    (cheap ass GeForce 2's :rolleyes: )

It was bizzare, I tried powering it up and it just did - no reason for not working! Then later on, I was swapping hard disks and in plugging the monitor back in afterwards, I saw the card move slightly out of position and I knew where all my problems had been coming from.

Not too sure about the LAN John - if I'm in Galway that weekend, I'll pop in and say hello.

Thanks again lads.

Advertisement