Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OT: How to link 2 computers 11 Miles apart ?

Options
  • 15-10-2001 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to link up 2 computers that are around 11 miles apart with at least a 128Kbps link ?
    Leased lines are too expensive as ya'all know :( so what other options is there... Dry Copper, I really don't know how to go about asking eircom for one ? and wireless is, I think limited to 9 miles ...

anyone got any ideas on how to link the 2 computers ?

thanks,
    ando

PS, I know this is OT, but I don't know who else to ask !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

How good is the line of sight between the two locations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

There is none :( ! Its pretty much flat land between the two buildings, but its the distance thats causing the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Where are you? You could find somewhere visable from both sites that is within a moderate range and put a simple repeater there that both sides would point their antennas to. You'd get at least 2MBit, more than likely 11MBit. Check out some of the stuff discussed at irishwan.org.

Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by ando
    Hi,

I want to link up 2 computers that are around 11 miles apart with at least a 128Kbps link ?
    Leased lines are too expensive as ya'all know :( so what other options is there... Dry Copper, I really don't know how to go about asking eircom for one ? and wireless is, I think limited to 9 miles ...

anyone got any ideas on how to link the 2 computers ?

thanks,
    ando

PS, I know this is OT, but I don't know who else to ask !

The easiest way to do this with two computers is isdn dual channel, which will guarantee 128 both ways and will not cost you as much as leased or wireless.

/me sits in front of screen unable to speak (or type).....ok recovered use of hands to type.. ;)

ISDN cheaper?!?!? hmm, which would be best; fainting or heart attack? ;)

Lets see, how in the world do you figure that dual metered isdn, 24/7, would be cheaper than free wireless? /me wonders if someone is conspiring with the €ircon rat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is a longshot but, find your closest garda station. Request permission to place a repeater on their mast(it is public property), using boo-hoo stories, such as 'You let Esat do it, all over the country', or complicated technical jargon to confuse them into being convinced. Kick and scream and threaten court action because your civil rights are being violated. Voilá! You have circumvented all major costs, not to mention troublesome planning permissons.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Hi,

Just to move this forward a little

xDSL seems to top out at 5 miles _of copper_, as in from you to the exchange, and to the exchange to computer two, so this is not going to work for you. Experimental setups may allow more, but you're battling against the laws of physics, and hoping that Eircom's copper is in good condition too.

To get a dry pair, you ask for 'unconditioned copper circuits'.

The only other solution that I can think of is radio, but the equipment is saucy enough, it takes a bit of setting up, and I think the best you'll get is 56k max throughput _in_total_, ie simplex. Also pretty experimental.

Can you give us some idea of budget?

Budget, I suppose aprox 1.5 Grand (But I'm really trying to save as much as I can) ... From your post zenith, I'm thinking that dry copper will only work when I'm going through only the 1 exchange ? Am I right in saying that I cannot go through more than 1 exchange ?

Computer 1 is in Raheny, Dublin. Computer 2 is in Blanchardstown, Dublin (just beside airport)

I've also been looking at wireless (non-line of sight) but the range on them is 9 Miles... so Maybe seamus's idea of putting a repeater or hub in a garda station in-between the 2 computers might be an option, but I'll try the dry copper option first !

I'm sorry for being a pain, but getting a leased line from eircom would defeat the purpose of being a member of irelandoffline :D lol

Approx £1000 per month for ISDN is surely out of the question now that you said your budget.

Now, if you could get a site that both PCs can see, then setting up a 11MBit wireless link would be simple. All you'd need is an access point on the high ground, or an oldish PC, with an omnidirectional antenna. That sort of distance would be very easy with 802.11b wireless.

You could see what the Dublin community of Irishwan is planning; they've had meetings, and discussed locations, e.t.c....If any of your pcs is within range of any of the planned access points, then they will be able to contact each other (you could tunnel through VPN for security).

Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

well dry copper is out of the question, they would never sell it yo you.

what exactly do you need the two connected for, you could set up a vpn over the internet, and use it as needed.

i really dont see away to do this without broadband.
    you could try beam sat internet. with your budget you could aford it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by bkehoe
    /me sits in front of screen unable to speak (or type).....ok recovered use of hands to type.. ;)

ISDN cheaper?!?!? hmm, which would be best; fainting or heart attack? ;)

Lets see, how in the world do you figure that dual metered isdn, 24/7, would be cheaper than free wireless? /me wonders if someone is conspiring with the €ircon rat.

I never said anything about 24/7 line access if you recall ;)

Originally posted by bkehoe
    Now, if you could get a site that both PCs can see, then setting up a 11MBit wireless link would be simple. All you'd need is an access point on the high ground, or an oldish PC, with an omnidirectional antenna. That sort of distance would be very easy with 802.11b wireless.

I know brenden, but the land is really completely flat between the 2 computers, no hills, no nothing, except the M50 :)
    After thinking all day, I think my best option is a non-line of sight link, with a hub/repeater in between the two (garda station)... I'm hoping now that its not well over my budget !

o, its a grada station, why cant you use the garda network.

i cant speak for them, but they should have their own network back to head office, i know they do in the revenue commision.

wow, I never taught that they had their own WAN system, but I don't think I'd be allowed use it for personal use !

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    i cant speak for them, but they should have their own network back to head office, i know they do in the revenue commision.

They certainly do (ever heard of PULSE?), but you are more likely to put a wireless hub on the moon than piggyback on the Garda WAN. They are understandably paranoid about security.

Anyway, I think their WAN is composed of 64k leased circuits. Not much fun for piggybacking on.

Originally posted by oscarBravo

They certainly do (ever heard of PULSE

My sister works in Pulse, but still, 64K .. :(

cheer up, all you have to do is set up shop in the same places the pulse network is relayed

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    cheer up, all you have to do is set up shop in the same places the pulse network is relayed
    Why? The Garda network operates over landlines. What are you going to do, cable-tie Cat5 to the wires? ;)

Advertisement