Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voltage

Options
  • 15-10-2001 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I was wondering does increasing the voltage to the cpu get more speed out of the cpu (overclock)
    Mine works at 2V if i uped this to 2.2V would this help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

If you're lucky (and have a good enough cooling system to deal with the excess heat)

Detail your setup here and we can discuss it in detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Short answer.....NO!!

Increasing CPU voltage alone will do nothing other than increase the chances of frying your chip. Voltage has no bearing on the speed at which a CPU runs. However, increasing CPU voltage can make an overclocked CPU more stable.

Overclocking a CPU is achieved by either increasing the FSB (Front Side Bus) speed, increasing the ratio between FSB speed and CPU speed (called the multiplier), or both.

Hope this helps

Bosco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

So what you're saying is that it may allow it to run at faster speeds stably.

Perhaps I made the false assumption he wanted a stable system.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

the problem is i cant change the FSB or multiplers on me motherboard so it was the only other think that i could think of doing to get more speed but as you say it only helps to stabilise the pc when u increase the FSB

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You really should give us a bit more info. Fruitless specualtion will only make matters more curfuffled. :D

Is there actually a setting/jumper on your board for upping the voltage??

If there is I seriously doubt that there are no setings, be they BIOS or jumper, for setting FSB/Clock multiplier.
    They kinda follow on each other, in reverse order.

Is it a Brand name PC?? ie Dell, Gateway, Compaq???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I wish to raise the voltage on my cpu by a fraction or two for an overclock, could someone help me identify the bridges I need to cut on the cpu itself in order to do this? I'll happily kill the chip, just need a little bit of detail as to what I need to do here :eek:

PIII 1.0ghz @1050mhz
    128mb pc133cl2 crucial (have 256 but won't allow oc cpu)
    Geforce 2 Gts Pro 64mb - custom cooling
    6.0gig quantum fireball 7200rpm udma 66
    10.2gig fujitsu 7200rpm udma 66
    intel i815 chipset from pcpartner
    lots of cooling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

bridges do not exist on the p3. They are on athlons. You can wire some pins together on the p3 to get it to request more voltage.

It can be done on the cpu itself, or in the socket. Heres an exampe of a tutorial:

http://www.overclockers.com/tips630/index03.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

the way i was going to increase me voltage was to cover pins on me socket 1 cpu these pins are A121,B119 and A119
    it is a gateway system also it is a ws440bx mobo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Alrighty Baby eater...

Sounds like yer running either a descuthes or above 100FSB Pentium II or a non-coppermine Pentium III.

What is the current clock speed and multiplier and lets see what we can do...also gimmie the RAM manufacturer name..most probably infineon or siemens on a gateway....

A BX Board will allow you to tweak alright, but the Large OEM's motherboards (like Dell, Gateway, HP) dont have such detail to adjust Voltages, etc....they auto-sense the CPU installed instead or at worse they have a 4-way jumper-block to go say 400, 450, 500, 550mhz.

But but but I know of the existence of some nice little BIOS tools which can dump Pheonix and Award BIOS'es and allow to change what the OEM's dont want you to see... google for BIOS-dump...

Ba$tard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement