Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivery Charges from Scan, OC.co.uk...?

• 15-10-2001 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how much these sites charge for delivery? I cant seem to find a guide for prices on their sites.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Scan hit me with a bill for £30 shipping(as far as I can tell .. that's the minimum they charge for delivery to Ireland).

Oh .. one more thing ... their website is for UK customers only. Aren't they f*cking geniuses - "Hi , we're 'Scan International', but only UK customers can order online".

SO you gotta ring them, thus feeding EirCon's coffers even more :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Dunno about the two you mentioned there, but dabs.com which are pretty good charge a flat fee of £20 sterling, approx £25 irish for delivery to the ROI. I ordered a monitor and case and bits from em and it was £25.

Heard bad things about scan, you might want to avoid them.

OCUK I have no experience of, I'm sure someone else will post about 'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Never had any problems with Scan. Have had problems on occasion with Dabs. No problems with them on other occasions...

-Ross

I've heard bad things about Dabs, and I've heard rumours about Scan.

Just out of interest, what have you heard about Scan phaxx?

ALl said and done, my parts arrived no probs. When I complete this new PC and fire her up - I'll know pretty quickly about how reliable Scan are ;)

(Incidentally .. so will all of you!! hehehe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

aye scan is a flat charge of 30 quid.. convince your mates they need some stuff off the site and go halves or whatever on the delivery, thats what folks usually do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

It took Scan 4 weeks to process a request for my friend. They had his money two weeks before he eventually got his and my stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

OcUK can be a litte pricey with their charging. For example, they charge a minimum of UK£10 - even for a stick of RAM. When you add on a 21" monitor, your charges inflate to £117 (ex VAT). They make a large whack of their profit on shipping outside the UK, so be warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I recently ordered a video card from Dabs. Ordered it Friday evening, got it Tuesday. No problems.

K

I ordered my MoBo, RAM, and HDD on Saturday (from Scan), got my stuff the friday after. Ok, so a couple more days than planned, but harly anything to whinge about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Another place to check out is http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk Their shipping charges are in three ranges - £5, £12, or £24 (ex VAT) for small, medium or large packages respectively. I got a Full Tower case from them a few months ago along with a 431W Enermax PSU. Cost me just 24 + VAT. Not ripping you off anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

nothing but good things to say about SCAN, yes they run out of stock at times, and yes they stopped taking online orders outside the uk (due to credit card fraud)

just a pity the exchange rate is so poor :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

One my friends is taking Scan to court because they will not refund her money for a faulty pc and for shipping.

Scan sent her the pc in question on three separate occasions saying that they had replaced the faulty components. On the third occasion, she returned the PC to them after she found that the DVD drive would now not work. Obviously the machine has depreiciated in value since the initial date of purchase and she has also spent £150 in shipping :(

No refunds?? To be honest I think they are biased against Irish people….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Originally posted by Praetorian
    One my friends is taking Scan to court because they will not refund her money for a faulty pc and for shipping.

Scan sent her the pc in question on three separate occasions saying that they had replaced the faulty components. On the third occasion, she returned the PC to them after she found that the DVD drive would now not work. Obviously the machine has depreiciated in value since the initial date of purchase and she has also spent £150 in shipping :(

I'm not sure she's necessarily entitled to a refund. They are obliged to keep attempting to make the machine work though. If they keep failing mind you, she will win I assume.
    No refunds?? To be honest I think they are biased against Irish people….

I'd love to know where you came up with that. Are you basing it on this one incident? Pretty strong remark - to call an entire company rascist...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by beaver

I'd love to know where you came up with that. Are you basing it on this one incident? Pretty strong remark - to call an entire company rascist...

i think the same and for the following reasons
    1. first time buying stuff off them they "lost the stuff" and had to resend it .
    2. sencond time i ordered 2k pounds stg off them and they dident send it after me waighting 6 weeks for it . they dident even send half the order
    3. 3rd time orderign off scan they only gave me half the stuff .

if anyone wants to hear me rant and rave about scan go to the galway lan where ill b!tch about them for god knows how long

that my 51 pence on the subject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

just ordered a cpu, ram, mobo and large heatsink from overclockers and delivery was 30 quid. was 30 quid for just ram and was 30 quid for the whole package. Last few orders ive had the stuff within 4 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

£30Sterling for some RAM?! Are you serious?

I ordered a Mobo, CPU + Heatsink, RAM and a Vid Card from them on Tuesday, the delivery charge was £14Sterling!!

That was the "ParcelForce" delivery option, there was another, and I presume faster, delivery option for £30Sterling... but screw that, I can wait!

Oh and thanks for the replies guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Dabs are grand, but OcUk ensure their shipments.
    and they arrive all well padded and exactly what you ordered. Dabs on the other hand are badly packaged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I would def go for OcUK if I were u.

Not only do they have a great selection of stuff, I've ordered from them a bunch of times and each time I've had the stuff within 3 days (no messing). Order on wednesday arrives on friday.

Both Dabs and Scan were pants to be honest. If you don't mind waiting 3 weeks to get your stuff they're ok though I guess.

www.overclockershideout.com are really fast for a US company, but stay away from www.theoverclockerzstore.com cos they're the slowest (worst was waiting a month for my stuff to even get shipped).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

My experiences over the last 3 years:

OCUK - Great if they have what you want in stock, otherwise it's nigh on impossible to get them to sort it or to even just get a reasonable reply from their customer service.

Scan - Abysmal Customer service. I'll never buy from them again.

Dabs - I've placed maybe 10 orders through them over the years and all have been dealt with perfectly. Great Customer service when I did need to get in touch, and they do a good job of keeping your order details updated (Mailing you with accurate out-of-stock/restock delay alerts and the like)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

If youre buying peripherals, Jungle .com are the best option. There delivery is usually about £3 , for more reasonable than Scan or Dabs.

I bought a 17" monitor from them for approx £150 sterling, and delivery was only £3!

Once or twice I was a little dissapointed with the speed of delivery, but you can track the parcels, once shipped.

They dont sell mobos and processors though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dabs, - very good, got loads of stuff and excellent

Overclockers = very cheap, dog slow with orders, 2.5 weeks waiting for a board

Scan - show of tos**rs - Ordered 2 grands worth of stuff off them there 2 years ago, excellent, box arrived all the stuff, another box arrived? a 19" monitor? did not order this, got onto them, told them, opps should have been delivered 150 miles away.
    They said they would collect it, week later got a bill for monitor, rang told them to take back, told me to send it, I said no way.
    Got another bill, rang again, same shi*
    Got a solicitors letter, same same same, after 6 months, found out it was legally mine, rang them and told them. never heard since

Advertisement