Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need Advice on new P4 board

• 16-10-2001 6:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭

Gerry or anyone who might know...

Looking for a recommendation on a P4 board for the new socket 478 p4 2ghz cpu.

I have read a few sites but am getting a little lost on the differences between sdram and rambus. Should I be looking for a board with the faster memory or the old memeory?

any other considerations?

Money is not the issue for this one, performance and stability are.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Don't get a board with the i845 sdram chipset. Sdram is too slow for the p4, basically it will be wasting your investment. There are 2 ddr chipsets out for the p4 now, via's p4x266 is almost as fast as the i850 rambus chipset, but anybody making boards with it risks being sued by intel, so its not really taking off. SIS have just released their 645 chipset, which is officially licensed, and performs better than the i850 with rambus when 333mhz (pc2700) ddr ram is used. (almost all pc2100 ddr ram will run at this speed anyway).

Sorry if this seems overcomplicated, but basically you can wait for a few decent boards to come out with the SIS chipset, hopefully this will happen within the next few weeks. Otherwise just splash out on an i850 based board with rambus. Good examples of i850 socket 478 boards are the asus p4t-e and the abit th7-raid II. The msi socket 478 board should be good also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

gerry, as always, you are a gentleman and a scholar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Mmh. Someone's never met him! ;)

Advertisement