Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German chamber slams Eircom

Options
  • 16-10-2001 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭

This is really *great* news - blunt and straight to the point
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=185&si=581864&issue_id=5876

THE German-Irish Chamber of Commerce has lashed out at Eircom over the proposed pricing structures the telco has suggested for its broadband service and sided with the telecoms regulator stance on the issue.

Speaking to the Irish Independent, Ralf Lissek, executive director of the German Irish Chamber said that "the prices (suggested by Eircom) are outrageously high and compare very badly with those on offer in other European countries."

He added that it is also ironic that Ireland is continuously being pitched by politicians as an e-commerce hub yet no broadband facility is available in the country.

"And if the prices being proposed by Eircom are accepted by the Office of the Director of Telecommunications (ODTR), nobody will be willing to pay them," he said.

Eircom has proposed a connection fee for a speedy internet access to both competitors and retailers of euro 125 per month.

The telco would then charge retailers euro 125 per month and wholesalers euro 75 per month for usage.

The German Chamber of Commerce also said it is ridiculous that Eircom would offer both competitors and ordinary retailers the same connection fee.

"Maybe the Government should forget about Stadium Ireland and focus on issues like the provision of broadband technology at a reasonable price," Mr Lissek said.

He pointed out that the Eircom offer is over 50pc more expensive than Deutsche Telekom on a monthly basis with initial start-up charges 150pc higher.

He added that when comparing the structures with smaller European countries, Eircom is still much more expensive.

The stand-off between the ODTR and Eircom over broadband continues. Etain Doyle, the telecoms regulator, is anxious to keep the wholesale rate as low as possible to generate competition in the market, while Eircom said it will take her office to court if she tries to impose a pricing regime on the DSL services.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

do german irish chamber of commerce have any weight with the government ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭P R O F A N I T Y

yes, but after the hole dudget/nise thing the goverment has shown abite more backbone to germany.

Ps someone at the indy is taken the piss.
    every time i see an article about eircom and how ****e they are i see an eircom add right over head haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Originally posted by P R O F A N I T Y
    the hole dudget/nise thing

Sorry? I have no idea what you are talking about.
    abite

Perhaps you mean "a bit"? Hmmm, you misspell just like an old acquaintance of mine. Funny. That. Isn't. It. ;)

K

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

presumably he means "the whole budget/nice [treaty] thing"

Inspired translation Niall. It was a mile byond me.

K

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

you do look familiar to me alright, allot like a guy that gave me a hard time when I first joined

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Forget any aggro and stay on topic, please guys...

Interesting article that... I've added a link to it from the IrelandOFFLine News page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

yeah the more international pressure the better

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Guys, please do a business 101 course or something and find out what the German-Irish chamber of commerce actually *is*.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Enlighten us ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    you do look familiar to me alright, allot like a guy that gave me a hard time when I first joined

Sorry Boston, I was taking to P R O F A N I T Y. Surely you're not the same person? :D

ROFLMAO

Anyway, I was just gently ribbing and I don't recall that "hard time" I'm supposed to have given you. As Boston anyhow.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Kix

Sorry Boston, I was taking to P R O F A N I T Y. Surely you're not the same person? :D
    K

I think (from looking at the post), that Boston was talking to ex-gladiator too.

That German-Irish chamber of commerce do trade fairs and so on, don't they? Not much good to us in that, but they are a potential ally (at least they seem to agree with us)

Contact for them is daniela.benz@german-irish.ie if the IOFFl committee want to get in contact (I don't mind doing it but might be better from the actual organisation (if we do want to contact them, we may not))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

abite

Its funny really.. all this power to remain anonymous and a simple slip up gives the game away...

Another incarnation of the infamous gladiator has returned... long live the reign of stupidity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Hey hey hey, he's been good, that was the deal, he's good, he stays.

Hrm.. I had a feeling it was that Boston one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

nah he made his usual 512/516 mistake a week ago or so, that confirmed my suspicions:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Errah lads, leave 'im off. There's been a couple of small "incidents" recently, but he's been quite well behaved on the whole. I'm amazed it took ye this long to see it though...

Heh, do I sound like a moderator? :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

lol, the change is immediate:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 concepts

...regard Eircom as a glittering role model NO KIDDING. They send top managment staff over to LEARN from Eircom (sick, SO SICK :( )

Admittedly the mess of Swisscom has to be seen to be believed but I don't think that gives them the right to egg Eircom on that way...

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

As if it isnt bad enough having to put up with eircoms prices im now hounded by them in my own front room.Anyone seen the oooo so frigging clever super mouse advert they are running lately WTF is wrong with these people advertising a service thats available to about 1% of the population (who pays for this insulting advert?)add to this the fact that out of that 1% theres probably another 1% that is either rich enough or stupid enough to use the hahahahahahaha service hahahahahahahahah

Stone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

were is he anyway.

Advertisement