Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing win 98 with win2k problem!

• 16-10-2001 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

I recently partitioned my hd, I have now a 10gig and a 4 gig partition with win 2k on the 10 gig install, The methods I have used to get 98 on to the 4 gig have failed, is there a way to get 98 on without removing 2k first?! any help appreciated :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

You can install 98 in your 4 GB partition - this will wipe the one for 2k but let it go through.
    When its done start setting up 2k use the quick repair option - it will resetup the Boot.ini for ya so it can dual boot into 98 and 2k.

Or get partition magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I am using partition magic 6 , but as of yet have still failed to get win 98 installed onto the other partition as win2k wont let me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Screw the partitions!;) just get yourself a really cheap HD 4gb should be rock bottom prices if you look around. Then install 98 on that disk and then use a third party boot manger [Bootstar] now you got all that space for w2k and all the space you wanted for w98. and off course if one drive goes bust you can still order a new one off the net:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

I don't think Windows 98/95/ME will install on any drive that isn't C:, I *think*.

Assuming the Win2k drive is your first Primary partition, you are installing Windows 98 on the Extended 4GB, yes?

You will not be able to use NTFS as well, mind you:

Using another system, make a Windows 98 startup disk. Use Partition Magic to *hide* the Windows 2k partition. This is tricky as you cannot do it from Win2k (obviously). So you need to boot using the startup disk, use the PMagic DOS utils to hide C:, and also like this you need to ensure you can browse to C:\ or D:\.

From the command prompt run the setup program. Now, there is NO way to avoid Windows 98's friendly destruction of your bootloader. That is just the way it is. So make sure you have an emergency Win2k boot disk as well. Hopefully, the hiding of the C:\ drive will allow Win98se to install itself, **** up your bootloader, etc., .

Next, you need to reboot the system. You have a few options here, but the best thing is to again boot using a rescue disk, run PMagic to unhide the C:\ partition, so now you have Win2k normal on the C:\, and Win98se on the D:\ drive (but it hasn't booted yet).

You can now reboot with the Win2k startup disk (remember that the bootloader is fux0red) to get Win2k loaded as normal from the C:\ partition, and you should be able to add the Win98 D:\ drive to the bootloader. Then reboot and it should work.

That's roughly what I did, but then I screwed it all up by getting ambitious and trying to get DOS 6.22 to install as well.

For a more raw method, try installing it on a bare bones HD, or just copying all the files from another computer's Windows and Program Files on to a CD, then plonking them on your D:\ drive. Windows works OK as long as it has the proper Windows folder structure, but you might have some initial registry trouble. Then just add the stuff to the bootloader and get it to run win.com, or win.exe or whatever it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Been through this kind of thing many times

Use partition magic..anything else is pants..
    Regarding partition magic, the boot disks on version 5 and seven are fine..but on 6 , it (only one is created) is next to usless to the average schmoo like me :)
    So either get the boot disks from 5 or 7..and ..wait for it..use partition magic 6!!. In my experience pm7 has trashed my partitions several times on the reboot..
    Don't remember if pm5 supports ntfs 5.1 (win2k)
    PM6 has always worked fine

So....

1) You need a primary dos partition..no escaping that...if your presant win2k is on ntfs..you need to move the partition and create a dos partition (fat whatever) at the START of the drive, presumably where win98 will eventually go.

2) Now it gets interesting...you boot from the partition disks made earlier..and HIDE the win2k partition...

3) Now boot from a win98 floppy (either make one on a win98 box or download one from www.bootdisk.com) and format the dos partition (which is all it should see anyhow)...getting tired!!...it gets more interesting..

4) Now install win98 the normal way...

5) Install PM6 plus boot magic..now you have the choice to choose which os to boot and no data is lost

6) Or if this seems like too much work..get drunk and wipe the whole drive and install win98 first and then win2k..:)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by LoGiE
    Screw the partitions!;) just get yourself a really cheap HD 4gb should be rock bottom prices if you look around. Then install 98 on that disk and then use a third party boot manger [Bootstar] now you got all that space for w2k and all the space you wanted for w98. and off course if one drive goes bust you can still order a new one off the net:D

Yep, that's what I'm doin(Win98/Linux) Saves ALL sorts of probs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ok thanks for the replies guys, ill have a go at it later on when I get our of here and ill let ye know how I got on :D

Advertisement