Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDNers

• 21-03-2000 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Quick one lads,

You've got an internal ISDN TA and ure using the POTS connection for your analogue phone;
    when the PC is turned off is the POTS still active ie. will yer bleedin' dog 'n' bone still poxy work?

Ta

Finglas Incubus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The bleedin' dog 'n bone will still poxy work when the PC is off, as phones do not rely on electricity to work. As you have no doubt noticed when the ESB go out on strike, the phone is unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭BugBlaster

ùmmmm with my internal TA its analogue pots die with the pc when you turn it off...
    so my solution was....
    to use an external Ta just for the analogue phones, and let it plugged in all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

actually Castor phones DO rely on electricity to work but its contained in the telephone lines themselves.
    Excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Now, Im quite likely wrong. But I imagine that the TA has to do some conversion of your analogue phone signal to be able to shift it down the ISDN line. It wouldn't work like a simple pass through. So if it's off, so is a connected phone.

As I said, just a guess.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No no OL, phones work on majic pixie dust dontcha know smile.gif !!

Phones need electricity to work and the TA does some conversion from POTS to ISDN so the TA needs to be on or that just wont happen. Internal/external makes no difference, the TA has to be on or no dog-n-bone.

DeV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement