Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my pc done broke itself...

• 17-10-2001 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

lads (and lasses), help!

for some very bizarre reason my pc won't boot and is giving me messages saying it can't find its OS. Can't use the boot disk either because it can't find the C drive to install the Windows CD on once the former gets going.

Any advice on what i can do myself (it's out of warranty) or anywhere i can get it fixed (preferably inner dublin)?

Really, *really* appreciate any help...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Have you checked for a loose connection from the HDD to the mo-bo? It may have taken a knock somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bats

seems to be okay although it was making a terrific clanking noise at one point-almost as if something was winding up and falling??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unlikely, but someone might have fúcked with the BIOS settings, i.e. told it your computer doesn't have a primary HD, so if you know anything about that, check it out. Other than that, your HD is wrecked(but get a competant mate to check there's no weird partitions set up on the HD before scrapping it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

terrific clanking noise
    sounds like read/write head crash! in which case prolly easier to get new hd, but if u really want the data stored on it there is/are ways to fix it. However i don't know them, but i seen it done... be warned on the hd i seen repair we lost 5gigs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

I'd say your drive is on the way out. Backup anything you need...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bats

right. That's a pain in the ass indeed-pretty sure that bios settings are as they were originally but it looks as if it's time for a new pc then...was getting on in age anyway.

thanks for all the help folks-much appreciated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

That hdd "dropping marbles on tiles" sound isn't a good one... I was backing up things on a dying hdd recently, using norton ghost to mirror a partition onto a new disk, it stopped every few seconds and clunked, powered down, back up, clunked a bit, copied a bit, and repeated. By the end it was making scary noises... I wouldn't have been surprised if it blew up. :)

Advertisement