Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

burning software conflicts

• 02-04-2000 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

Using a Mitsumi 4804TE drive.

I had been using the software supplied with this drive (CeQuadrat winoncd), with no problems from day 1.

I decided to install Adaptec Easy CD Creator 3.5b, uninstalling winoncd first of course. The problem is, Easy CD refuses to recognise the CDRW at all, even with no other burning software on the system. I reinstalled winoncd, and lo and behold, it recognised the drive no probs.

I've had the same problem with Nero as well, is it that the drive is designed to only work with one piece of software?!, if this is the case I'll be having some strong words with mitsumi.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I had the same problem ,but in reverse kinda.
    I had Easy CD with my old CDrw, un installed it , popped on CeQuadrat with the new drive(Came with the new one). Decided I didn't like it and tried to install Easy CD again - no joy. I think if it's an OEM version that they give it a list of a limited number of drives it will allow itself to work on. Since the software reads the drive ID this would be pretty easy, and make good commercial sense.
    I tried Nero4 and it was fine though (But that was after a Win98 reinstall).

So, sorry, not much help. But I don't think it's your mitsumi.
    I think CeQuadrat's not bad option's wise , but don't ya think it looks like it was layed out by a 2 year old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I was just wondering, are drive manufacturers and software companies that make burning utilities, in the habit of altering the specific programs so that they will only work with one type of drive?...its not likely but I wouldnt put it past some people, especially if the software was bundled with the drive.

The reason I wanted to ditch winoncd was because i didnt like the way it handled disk images, it kept burning a file called Track1 instead of the data, mabye i missed somthing but it doesnt mention that anywhere in the documentation smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Are you sure you haven't selected Audio CD at the start by accident? So it sees your Data as one track (Don't mean to be patronising, but that would cause it). Make sure it's data or ISO9660.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have had nothing but grief from Adaptec Easy CD. I've weasted more CDs than it's created. I dunno, t'was a Gateway thing - not great. I installed Nero and it buggered the system - had to format the C: drive and re-install everything! Not good at all!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

Advertisement