Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome our new moderator!

Options
  • 17-10-2001 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Ladies and gents, - please welcome ...

dahamsta!

... as your newly-appointed (co-)moderator of the IrelandOFFLine forum.

Hooray!

(* a happy Bard... who finally got his Zeddy TODAY *)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

bow to the mighty one
    big bula bus all round da place for dahamsta:)

although I must say moderating must be alot easier since gladiator/ehub/joe... is on his sabatical!

The Ioffline board has probably needed 2 mods for a while now bcos of the hectic posting and recurring topics needing attendance to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Dr99

Congrats Dahamsta, it couldn't be inflicted on a nicer Chap
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Bugger. :)

adam

hate to go slighty OT on such an announcement but just a quick suggestion from the admin of the board....

w/ the Wiki down @ the mo, newcomers are finding it hard to get some info on topics and their relevance (or lack of)....

would it be possible to have a "sub-irelandoffline board" that could be used for FAQ's etc. This board would be "read-only" w/ access given only to the mods and cmtee to post on well established facts/faq's/official standing and views of the committee on several issues and thus would be updated by them only @ regular intervals.

I think @ the moment alot of the clutter is due to ppl not knowing the situation on various issues and a lack of clarity on other things as well- coupled w/ the difficulty to find them on the main board due its frenetic pace- while the website is an xlnt starting point, sometimes ppl want to know something specific. This is where it could be useful- for instance constantly recurring questions could be posted and hopefully end the reposting of topics disussed ad nauseum. It would force ppl to look @ the sub-bd to find their answer before posting another new topic- and if its a genuinely needed new topic then post it!
    [hope I'm making sense!?]

also I think there could be some more topics, started on the IOffline Board, moved over to the nets/comms or technology board. The "whats the best isp" is a one that crops up now and again and also discussions on satelite access and WAN's. While they are all relevant to IOffline, sometimes they get very techncial and perhaps would detract some of the more genral discussion users:)

theres my 2p (or 80p.;)) for the moment anyway
    once again- happy future moderating to adam:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

cool about time we got a decent mod around here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Congrats, dahamsta. It'll keep the work off Bard so he can do wonderful things with the web page (or, erm, have more of a life)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Congrats dahamsta, but I thought you were a mod already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Congrats dahamsta!!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Bugger. :)

adam
    haha ... i think for once dahamsta is lost for words ... will wonders ever cease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭cmkrnl

<Miley>
    Well Holy God!
    </Miley>

Nice one M8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

WHOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Go dahamsta! I wish you many joyious years of Moderating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Bad luck Adam.

Ah you know what I really mean. ;)

K

P.S.: Digi_Tilmitt , if that image sig isn't over he allowed max size, I'll eat something I shouldn't. You should scale it back before Cloud smacks you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks everybody.

80p, just FYI, the WikiWikiWeb isn't down. In fact it's never been down, we just had a problem while I was away in that some tosser deleted the content of the start page. I pulled it back from the archives and locked all the pages bar the QuestionsAndAnswers section. So although people can't modify the main pages, they can work away in the QuestionsAndAnswers section all they want, and as that builds up it can be moved into the locked sections. You make a valid point though, in that rather than answering FAQ's directly, I think it would be better if people linked into the WikiWikiWeb.

On a related note, like a few others, I was never mad keen on the idea of three seperate sites. It seems to confuse people, and quite often the most Frequently Asked Question is "Why do you have three sites?" On that note, Bard, we might have a chat next week about migrating the whole lot into one? Ya think? Dunno what we'd do about the forums though. Best left here, pick up the passing traffic?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Anyone who questions Bard on the three site thing gets shot down and thread closed, which is why I believe it's never been properly discussed. I agree with dahamsta. Running a forum is *hard*, and if Boards.ie are generous enough to do it for us I'd say continue with it hosted here, not on some twopenny server somewhere.

The 3 urls is a bit confusing alright- maybe they should all just point to the .com for convience w/ links on the main site to the forum and wiki.

thx for clarifying the availability of the wiki- i wasnt sure meself- but I think you got my general point that we need a "read-only" presence to point ppl to so as to obviate the clutter that FAQ's on the board produce! Perhaps if there was a permanent sticky on the top of the forum linking to an faq's and recent topics page that could provide a quick reference point to users and hopefully answer some of the more trivial q's:)
    Dunno what we'd do about the forums though. Best left here, pick up the passing traffic?
    Yeh I think the boards is a great platform and thats why my 1st instinct was to propose a "sub-board" rather than doing something external to the boards. As youv'e intimated a bit of brainstormin is needed on it- but we should consider a few miner adjustments *me thinks*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

gratz adam :)

This is obviously so Bard can go into full time business as a sig image maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Dustaz
    gratz adam :)

This is obviously so Bard can go into full time business as a sig image maker.

*sniff sniff* I want a sig image :(

/me storms off

Ahh Wielding the Axe already Adam :)
    [and rightly so IMO]

I like it!

*stereotypical prison warden*
    Its Lockdown
    *end\ stereotypical prison warden*

Advertisement