Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maxtor Hardrive.....Bawah????

• 17-10-2001 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Rightio, Just got a Maxtor 20Gig off meh mate,
    Plenty of ****ed up problems wiv it...

Firstly, When creating an active partition you cant format it after making the partition as it says invailid media type

2ndly you cant install windows on it as it says Drive missing...

3Rdly running it as a slave in win98 wont werk, fiddled wiv jumpers for ages

4Rthly When run as a slave in win2k it will only show as an 8Gig even though its being read in the bios as a 20Gig,

kinda baffling meh except everything seems ta baffle meh these days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I've got an 80gig Maxtor and haven't had any problems with it. If you're having problems with fdisking the drive, I'd advise going to their site www.maxtor.com and download the maxblast boot disc creator. It's specifically designed for maxtors and can partition and format in a matter of seconds. I doubt that there's anything wrong with the drive, check your bios settings and make sure its set up to autodetect on boot and that the jumper is at the correct setting (primary/slave).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Doodee
    3Rdly running it as a slave in win98 wont werk, fiddled wiv jumpers for ages

4Rthly When run as a slave in win2k it will only show as an 8Gig even though its being read in the bios as a 20Gig,

Well, the two above looks kinda similar to a problem i had.. what file system format do u have? I had a drive on NTFS which would only show up in WIN2k not win98 (as slave) and all sorts of problems with it not showing up as the right size..

If it is NTFS, id recommend u format and change it to FAT32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by kaids
    What? Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Shamie

Doodee you didn't respond to my post in For Sale forum about swopping the Mini-Disc.. do you still want to swop or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Firstly, When creating an active partition you cant format it after making the partition as it says invailid media type

How old is your motherboard?

I remember having problems with a BIOS on an older motherboard that detected large drives correctly but did not support them properly - it overwrote existing files when trying to write to sections above 8GB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yep, sounds like it isn't being detected properly by your motherboard. Tell us what it is, it might be limited to 8.4gb if its an old pentium board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

What? Why?
    ntfs file system is only designed for NT/win2k not win98 !!
    FAT32 hd will still work in Win2k, but the limit on size is sumtin like 34gb, so ntfs should be used for larger hd (>34gb) under win2k.
    FAT32 hd under win98 has a limit like 128gb for size of hd.
    As Gerry said it is most probably a motherboard problem as it can't detect the size properly !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

As long as you're not using it as your boot drive, try disabling all detection options for the HDD in questions in the BIOS. This will force Win2k to query the drive directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Couldn't find that yokey on the Maxtor site - do you have a more specific address, please? I've just bought a Maxtor disk for the computer I'm building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by TinCool
    It's specifically designed for maxtors and can partition and format in a matter of seconds.

It takes about 2 hours on my 30GB UDMA33 5400rpm drive, doing a low-level format (Writes drive with zer0s)
    Do you mean the Quick-test?
    It jsut checks the SMART integrity.
    Even the Advanced test takes ~12mins
    A low-level format would be reccomended, after all, you prolly don't need anything off the drive, seeing as how it's just going to fill up with Warez and MP3s.... ;)
    The drive doesn't seem to be FUBAR (yet - Maxtor Drive after all), as Win2k can detect at least a portion of it
    Doodee, about the jumpers, set it to slave, put it on the middle IDE connector, and the master on the end. That is the standard setup. Don't bother with Cable Select.
    A low-level format would at elast verify that the drive is working.

Gerry, afaik the mobo is a fiarly new one.

Is this the Athlon JP? Or is it some other one?

Also, on a side note, I just got a really small syringe of 'Thermal Cement' off a lad who was using some other really f3cking expensive stuff for his CPU (£40 a tube or something - forget the name of it).
    I'm reading it here.
    www.balancestars.com model:ST700-TU15
    thermal conductivity:> 7.5W/m-k
    Thermal Resistance:>0.06 C-in2/W
    25% Silver included
    Heatsink Compounds (looks like it could be a logo)
    STARS-420
    Is this stuff safe to use on a GeForce256? I was also going to use it to attach some heatsinks I was going to split and put on the GF's RAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

if the mobo is a new one there is no need for maxblast, it will only complicate matters.

As for the thermal compound, its fine to use, as long as you keep it away from the pins on the ram and core. I took this from www.articsilver.com

Arctic Silver II features:

Made with 99.8% pure micronized silver.

78% to 82% silver content by weight.

Thermal conductivity: 8.4 W/m°K to 8.8 W/m°K (Hot Wire Method Per MIL-C-47113)

Thermal Resistance: 0.0028°C-in²/Watt (0.001 inch layer)

Obviously the artic silver is far superior, but the stuff you have will do fine, it doesn't make a huge difference. Main thing is to use only a very thin layer, to fill in the gaps between heatsink and chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

My GeForce is burning up, gotta replace that sh1te HSF that's on it....
    I have a decent looking Socket7 HSF at home, will prolly use that for the GPU, I'm also getting a few old Socket7 Heatsinks off ppl, namely mr Vaughn up there ^:rolleyes:^ and Robbo, if his SocketA will fit over the ram and leave enough room for the Slot1 P3...hmmmm.

Gerry, are you coming to the GalwayLan?
    When you realise you are (;)) could you bring down a tube of arctic Silver II, if you can get one, and i'll pay you.

Also, lapping. Is 500 grain sandpaper fine enough?

MaxBlast is handy only for the 'PowerMax' feature in it, whcih also contains the low-level format. There'll be plenty of time to sort it out anyways. AFAIK the lan goes from Friday evening (by the time everyone's there) to Monday sometime. AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Get the finest sandpaper you can. And a nice sanding tool.

Band sanders are a bad idea.

Advertisement