Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Explanation required > HDSL

Options
  • 17-10-2001 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

While performing my duties as security at a certain large corporate, I saw several racks of equipment with HDSL written on them.. This equipment looked fairly old (and had 'Telecom Eireann' on it!). Just basically wondering what HDSL is. before you start going on about how thick I am, I know its some type of DSL but I was wondering about speeds, etc. They have about 5 HDSL links in the building as well as a couple of 128k and 512k links to dublin, england, etc.. Anyone care to shed some light on the matter?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Just because it says HDSL on the box doesn't mean it's HDSL. However it probably is, because that's what Eircom have used to supply leased lines to customers for years - which goes a long way towards explaining why they don't want us to have it. Anyway, from the DSL Forum:
    HDSL: (high data rate DSL) This variety created in the late 1980s delivers symmetric service at speeds up to 2.3 Mbps in both directions. Available at 1.5 or 2.3 Mbps, this symmetric fixed rate application does not provide standard telephone service over the same line and is already standardized through ETSI and ITU (International Telecommunications Union). Seen as an economical replacement for T1 or E1, it uses one, two or three twisted copper pairs.

HTH (hope this helps :)),
    adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

it does help.. thanks for the info. saves me wading thru google :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

no bovver

Advertisement