Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best music video

Options
  • 18-10-2001 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

ok, since you cant have music without vidoes these days, whats your favourite music video and why?

mine is bjork's "all is full of love", the video for this tune is amazing with bjork robots getting it on whilst being built. another cunningham experience worth watching. i like the industrial design of it very much.

5211.jpg5216.jpg

others would include MJ's thriller and that portishead(only you) video where they are floating in water. good one.

whats yours?

adnans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Talking heads - Once in a life time , the crazy dance he does:)
    The end of the Sum41 song (pain for pleasure?) is brilliant
    the rest of it sucks though.
    And In bloom is pretty good
    and sledge hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Street Spirit - Radiohead
    Ressurection - Fear Factory
    Tonight, tonight - Smashing Pumpkins
    Ratamahatta - Seplultura
    Tourniquet - Marilyn Manson
    Sweet Dreams - Marilyn Manson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

* Radiohead - Paranoid Android. Robin anyone?
    * Foo fighters - Everlong. Big hand ruled!
    * Korn - Freak on a Leash. Just plain :cool:
    * Aphex Twin - Windowlicker. Just plain scary.
    * Aphex Twin - Come to Daddy. Just plain scarier. :p
    * Basement Jaxx - Where's Your Head At. Haven't been this afraid of Monkeys since System Shock 2
    * Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up. Nice twist at the end. :D
    * Blur - Coffee & TV. *ahhh* cute ;)
    * Pearl Jam - Do the Evolution. That animated girl that turned into a skeleton was freaky. :eek:
    and that Radiohead one with the car chasing your man... cant for the life of me remember the name.

That would be Karma Police. Another excellent one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Pharcyde - Drop

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Pantera - Revolution is My Name (Extremely Funny)
    Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
    Sepultura - Territory
    Metallica - One
    Megadeth - Sweating Bullets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Nine Inch Nails -Closer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

mmmmmmm, at last, a top ten type thread that i can REALLY get into:)
    (yeh, and metalheads please dont hijack this with your narrow experience..thx)
    theres so many good music videos, that its hard to come up with my definitve favorites but heres some of me favorites.
    • Doo Wop (that thing) Lauryn Hill: Best use of split screens in a video for years, great art direction and subtlety:)
    • No Rain - Blind melon: no rain, no reason, just love it.
    • Freedom - George michael : Not many videos have a personal point to make, but this one did it with style. art direction second to none and great editing. Directed by David Fincher too:)
    • Robbies racing car one (cant remember the name): Style Style and more style. big budgets arent wasted on robbie
    • Let Forever Be Chemical Brothers: Great use of perspective and post effects to create a very very strange looking video.
    • Windowlicker Aphex Twin: Chris Cunningham at his best bledning slick hollywood production with the wierdness of aphex twin
    • No Diggity Blackstreet: Hype Williams tongue in cheek RnB masterpiece
    • Praise You Fatboy Slim: Hes done higher budget, hes done clever, but this is Spike Jonze at his best directing and starring in the low budget epic.

Ill probably add to this or edit it a later date:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

yep All Is Full Of Love easily gets my vote as the best of the lot..

others worth mentioning though:

Bjork - Bachelorette (absolutely brilliant, the one about the book about the book about the book about the book..)

in fact I really don't think theres been a bad Bjork video.

Massive Attack - Protection (yes, the continuous shot window one)

REM - bah yet again so many great videos... Everybody Hurts I reckon.

Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up, for the perspective pov and the twist at the end.

Aphex Twin - Windowlicker & Come To Daddy, both damn original and well executed ideas.

and that Radiohead one with the car chasing your man... cant for the life of me remember the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Emperor - The Loss and Curse of Reverance
    At The Gates - Blinded By Fear
    Pantera - Walk
    Entombed - Wolverine Blues
    Danzig - Cantspeak (**** song but great video)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Marilyn Manson- I don't like the drugs..amazing imagery..amazing song

Schiller -Das Glockenspeil - amazing track..video fits in a weird way

Prodigy-SMBU - Been imatated so many times..and no wonder..is impressive

Sash-With my own eyes, great dance track, great fight scene..stylish..

Rank 1-Such is life, great dance tune serious message, video hits it home hard

Over 600 music vids on various hdds..these currently get most watched.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

IMO

Pearl Jam.... Do the evolution

We had this topic not so long ago and nothing has changed my view. I actually despise the music video for whats its done to popular music, where the "LOOK" sells the music as opposed to the quality of music itself. However, I no probs giving recogniton to some xlnt productions.

Spike Jonze has always pleased the eye, Stretching back to the xlnt "Sabotage" for the Beastie Boys. Metallica- "One" distinguished itself as I think "The Unforgiven" did. Weezer's "Buddy Holly" also set a marker of which I dont think has been touched in terms of originality as of yet.

better stop b4 I start convincing myself videos are goood:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

just by radiohead
    best video ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

(this is my 3,999th post... ;) )

I couldn't choose just one... What about... (in no particular order) ... these eight:

1. Michael Jackson - Thriller
    MTV voted it "The Greatest Video in the History of the World" and that's a difficult, if not impossible, accolade to argue with. If I'm watching TV and it comes on, I will always watch it from start to finish... and that IS saying something. It lasts 15 minutes, is almost a mini-movie in it's own right ... still - I'd like to see THIS (Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within) version... will probably get that DVD anyway :)

2. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Fantastic song, with a great video which properly set the tone for what was yet to come... and epitomised grunge itself.

3. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
    An epic song with a memorable video.

4. Guns'N'Roses - November Rain
    Do you really need to ask why this features in my list? Classic... classic stuff.

5. Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight Tonight
    Gorgeous imagery - nicely done - animation fits the rhythm/beat and lyrics perfectly.

5. Blur - Coffee & TV
    "Cute" and well put together

6. Fat Boy Slim - Praise You
    hehehe

7. Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
    Fruity

8. Radiohead - Karma Police

-... can't think of any more right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

As for my choice cuts... Laughablely crap as they are:

Cradle Of Filth - From The Cradle To Enslave (Pure low-budget hammer horror gore! Classic!)

Metallica - One (The obvious one... But none-the-less classic, and powerful.)

Rammstein - Sonne (The whole Snow White & The Seven Dwarves theme was simply ****ed up. Utter genius!)

Tool - Schizm (Bizzare...)

A Perfect Circle - Judith (Amazingly done. David Fincher! What more to say? It's a rehearsal! Directed by David Fincher! BRILLIANT!)

Akerc0cke - Infernal rites. (The most ****ed up video I've seen, quite disjointed. Bassically "The Lads" are gathering up to preform a satanic ritual. Quite cool what you can do on the budget of a bag of crisps!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Hey Angelwhore know where i can see
    the Tool - Schism video online maybe
    or is it on mtv2 or anything?

I saw it on Brand New once, thats it...

Dunno where you could get it on the net though... Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Michael Jackson: Smooth Criminal
    and that starlight song. The one with the dancing potato. I love that guy.

I'd like to say some metal videos, but I haven't had MTV too long, and thus haven't seen many. MTV suck. Booo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Bard

4. Guns'N'Roses - November Rain
    Do you really need to ask why this features in my list? Classic... classic stuff.
    AArrrghhhh, ok MJ was bad enough, but this video? ok NO. Slash doing solos in interesting locations for ego purposes does not a video make. and 'Axl' and his ridiclous posturing doesnt help. In years to come this video will be looked on as a parody of 90's cock rock.

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Rammstein - Sonne (The whole Snow White & The Seven Dwarves theme was simply ****ed up. Utter genius!)

You have the daywalk3r rip?, personnaly i prefer Links 234 (in video)the ants theme is far less of a cliche,pretty original imho, mind you Du Hast rocks my world in sound , but havent had the pleasure of seeing the vid yet, any good?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Originally posted by 80project
    We had this topic not so long ago and nothing has changed my view. I actually despise the music video for whats its done to popular music, where the "LOOK" sells the music as opposed to the quality of music itself. However, I no probs giving recogniton to some xlnt productions.

Sure despise the eyecandy "artists", eg westlife, britney (imo) etc..but i do strongly believe that the true astist will use visual effect to enance their art, or sometimes to put accross a message they strongly feel about.

A good case in point is Rank 1-Such is life, just listening to the song is an auditory pleasure, but couple that to the video (death row images) it hammers accross a really serious message that perhaps the song alone might not convey...

The final shot hammers this home..its more than music..

musicvid.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by 80project
    However, I no probs giving recogniton to some xlnt productions.

I do think they're are a good accompianment to the music if...

You buy a CD based on the music as opposed to what we all know really happens w/ the youngins....That ppl see the video and then buy based on that. Thats my only prob w/ vids. otherwise theres no better thrill to see some genuinely innovative and original stuff.
    [ooh better stop they're debating the merits of MTV on the Late Late Show- how ironic!!]

Anyway its gone to far to turn back and say vids dont play a part in selling music:(

Good points 80p, reminds me of a discussion i had a while back with a friend about words and music.

To me music is all about sound, it pleases my ears.

I debated that some popular artists are more about the words that they say than the tunes they make. REM i feel is an excellant case in point

I find their music monotonous boring and repeditive, however they do write smart lyrics (sung in a monotone) that seems to make up their lack of musical ability. They talk to tune..which seems to impress the chattering classes.

That said "thats me in the corner"(or whatever it was called) was new and original.but its rehashed over and over..every release..the words just change..i do not consider it music..its "wordcandy".

Music should be about tonality, rhythem..a sense of TUNE,..perhaps videos can elevate the mediocre to the high (britney)..but the true artist will enhance their music with pictures, .eg..Prodigy,Radiohead ,Bjork or Massive attack, even Rammstein

Originally posted by Longfield

You have the daywalk3r rip?, personnaly i prefer Links 234 (in video)the ants theme is far less of a cliche,pretty original imho, mind you Du Hast rocks my world in sound , but havent had the pleasure of seeing the vid yet, any good?

Daywalker rip?
    What's that?

And, yeah, Links 234, cool video, but I much prefer Sonne, far darker.
    And the whole Snow White theme, I just loved.
    Kinda like something Tim Burton would have done.

Haven't seen the video for Du Hast though, is there one?

Hopefully I'll be on my way to see them in December. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Squarepusher - Come On My Selector

More Cunningham genius.

And a Beta Band song whose name eludes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Just for the artistry and not the tracks I would say:

Aphex Twin - Come to Daddy
    Bjork - All is Full of Love

For style I liked:

Madonna - Bad Girl
    Michael Jackson - Who is it ?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Cheez
    Hey Angelwhore know where i can see
    the Tool - Schism video online maybe
    or is it on mtv2 or anything?

It does be on the Friday Rock show (midnight) alot. Theres a good chance of finding it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Cover you in Oil ........ AC/DC

its got women, sweaty, oily, and ac/dc

end

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Dustaz

AArrrghhhh, ok MJ was bad enough, but this video? ok NO. Slash doing solos in interesting locations for ego purposes does not a video make. and 'Axl' and his ridiclous posturing doesnt help. In years to come this video will be looked on as a parody of 90's cock rock.

Ok Dustaz - fair point that.

It's actually been quite some time since I've seen that vid. I guess I just chucked it in 'cos I always liked G'n'R and (wrongly, probably) remembered that vid as a genre definer...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

look dustaz
    Slash is cool
    and being cool makes slash more cool,
    and doing cool stuff makes slash even more cool
    so therefore slash = infinity*cool

if u had a guitar u'd do that stuff too if you looked cool

ur just jealous
    that ur not slash

and slash is

:):):):):):):)

ps cool is such a funny word

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RSC_Girl

Bjork - All Is Full Of Love, definately

Ash - Candy & Shining Light (sorry, I just love Ash and they were phenomenal at Witnness)

David Kitt - You Know What I Wanna Know has a good video too, very simple

Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight Tonight, just amazing

Nirvana - In Bloom

Foo Fighters - Break Out *Dave Grohl in black shirt and white tie, need I say more??*

Radiohead - No Surprises

Advertisement