Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good WW2 romp recommendations...

Options
  • 18-10-2001 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

After watching Spielberg's "Band of Brothers" recently I feel like a good WW2 first person shoot' em up. As realistic as possible with legit weapons and lots of Nazis to kill.
    Hopefully it will have grinades, sniper rifles, flame throwers (and of course lots of Nazis to kill).

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
    Al
    The bloodthirsty one.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

If you have Half Life, get the DoD (Day of Defeat) mod as quick as you can. Price: free. If you don't want to download it, grab a PC Format cover disk, it should have it.

Another good option is the Return To Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer test. Have a look at this thread. You'll need a beefy PC and a decent connection to run it well.

They're both online multiplayer experiences. If you're looking for a good single player WWII game I'd recomend Hidden and Dangerous. It's available cheaply on budget these days.

Oh, and I've heard to avoid WWII Online at the moment. It's supposed to be bug ridden hell.

HTH

K

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Kix
    Oh, and I've heard to avoid WWII Online at the moment. It's supposed to be bug ridden hell.

:D:D:DHeres the proof :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

DoD = Brill
    RCW =looks good,cant wait for full release
    H&D = Very good to,but very hard as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Medal Of Hono(u)r will soon own all your pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

ROFL hobbes :D
    Bug ridden hel is right :)
    Cool music too :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Snaga
    Medal Of Hono(u)r will soon own all your pants.

Not that soon. Sometime next year perhaps.

RTCW may well steal its thunder if it gets released before Christmas - it's expected in mid Nov.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Almurph

Yeah I think I may go for Hidden and Dangerous. I just want to engage the enemy as fast as possible and start killing. I can't believe how bloodthirsty I am. I think it's a combo of Spielberg's "Band of Brothers" and this arsy project I'm on at the moment.
    Anyway rant over - anyone know what is the simplest way to get this game for lazy archair killer wannabees?

Al.
    The murderous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

loads of nazi killing oriented games around today youre spiled for choice. if i were you i would either go for DOD (beta2 wannnn) and one single multiplayer map from RTCW (there is a sexy flamethrower in it). or if you just want to pop a cap into some nazi killer robots, get yourself Wolfenstain 3D the original.

maine lieben.... :)

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Almurph

Concerning DOD - my underestanding of it is that it's an only an online game. Now I've done online gaming before from cyber cafes etc but never from home as I only have a 56k so I reckon I'll be at a disadvantage to 'Karl' with his big juicy ISDN pipe.

Agree/Disagree?

Comments app.
    Al
    The worried :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Well therell be some disadvantage, but play on a local server (I dunno any ip's of the top of my head) and once your ping is steady then the advantage is diminished.

I play on 56k all the time, I cant wait to get onto something bigger but its certainly not bad enough to make me stop playing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You used to be able to download Hidden and Dangerous from a website called freeloader.com (completely legal, so put your flames away) - I dunno if its still around, but its worth checking out.

Nakey, that's true but:
    1. He's on 56k. Slow downloads.
    2. You have to view a lot of crap to get "freeloader credits" before you can download each piece of the game.
    3. It's only about £15 in the shops.
    4. I'm not sure freeloader are still going, they were having serious financial problems.

Al, as regards DoD on 56k, I'd have to say that it's not bad at all. Once your ping is under 200 you're in with a very fighting chance. The IOL and RaDoX servers are usually good.

God, I haven't played DoD in days. I can't get to the computer, my girlfriend's really got into playing Max Payne. Perhaps I shouldn't have encouraged her to share my hobbies?

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭jes

ftp://ftp.futurenet.co.uk/pub/dailyradar/pc/moh.mov

check that out

medal of honor will rule

Advertisement