Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone gotten mad at a game? REALLY REALLY MAD?

Options
  • 18-10-2001 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Id really like to hear stories from you guys about your worst gaming experiences that have caused you MUCH mental anguish possibly to the point of physically harming sentient or hopefully non sentient beings.

I was about 16 and I was playing my younger brother on the NES in some two player game. He keeps beating me and rubbing it in my face to the point where I was just completely pissed off. I took the controller and whipped it at the top of his head. He was bleeding for a good 20 minutes or so. :D

He got me back though by stabbing me with a BIC Biro lol

Ohhh the joys of youth :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

Lol, I dread to think what happened come dinner!

I got horribly stuck in FF7 because of some iffy graphics, there was supposed to be a little road somewhere that you could walk off on but I couldn't find it and was stuck there for a week and I broke a controller against a wall I was so pissed at the damned thing.

As for gaming injuries, I remember getting blistered until all my fingers were bleeding at playing the Aquatic Olympics on the Amiga 500 - it was an offshoot of James Pond and all you had to do was bash buttons really fast nad that kind of thing, very painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I recently found out I'm not the only one to have broken my first Game Boy (I'm now on my fourth) by headbutting it...

It was right at the end of Bart Simpson's Escape from Camp Deadly, the bit where you have to climb the mountain, and I lost my last life and got a tad annoyed.

A few joysticks, controllers, keyboards and mice have also gone to silicon heaven by my hands, but usually through over-use rather than abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I've broken two dual shock joypads.

Dual Shock #1 was broken on its day of purchase. I brought home it and the spangly new Gran Turismo and played it. I was stuck on some license test for hours and after coming extremely close, I ripped the joypad out of the playstation and threw it against the wall.

Dual Shock #2 suffered a similar fate after I was stuck on a Tony Hawk's 2 challenge (draining the fountain in Philly). I was extremely pissed off with not being able to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Sico
    I recently found out I'm not the only one to have broken my first Game Boy (I'm now on my fourth) by headbutting it...
    ROFLMFAO temper temper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Thumped a game boy once, screen cracked. Oops, that's the end of that then.

Keyboard is what usually takes abuse, but I'm usually able to stop myself these days, mainly because I used to smack it so hard my hand hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

hehe, I broke 2 keyboards and a monitor (the monitor was on its last legs anyway so I didn't mind) playing Tribes. I absolutely loved the game but from time to time you'd have muppets on your time that would drive you insane:

/me grabs enemy flag in display of amazing skill

/me zooms across the map with half the enemy team mortaring and disking the crap out of him

/me spams "Cover me!!!!!!" over and over for about 30 seconds

No help arrives

/me is blown to bits by enemy chasers just outside his base

/me beats the **** out of his keyboard in anguish. :)

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

My thumbnails almost fell off (seriously) when I was playing Gran Turismo too much on an analog controler. Like Nakey, I was stuck on one of the licence tests. I must have tried it 100 times in a row and I just couldn't do it fast enough.

Later on, with a dual shock controler, I just breezed past it.

So frustrating.

And painful.

K

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've suffered numerous blisters on my thumbs from the Killer Instinct Gold championships on the Super NES we used to have during college (and I was supreme master). Quite painful!

After an all night session of Quake World Rocket Arena my eyeballs nearly fell out - I hadn't blinked in something like 4 hours - I thought I might have needed hospital attention!

I've broken two or three joysticks in anger with games on my C64 and Atari 2600.

I've mashed a mouse at Quakapalooza in the ZT -v- Inc match - it kept double clicking on the LMB.

I punched a hole through a door in my house once as a result of something game related - the rage clouds that part of my memory :) Mammy was not impressed. The hole remains to this day...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I used to have a BBC B computer type thing and the games came in audio cassette form (remember them!). Some of the games were great like Revs and Elite (what a corker). But they took so long to load. I had so many times when I would be waiting 20 - 25 minutes for the one game to start but even then the file could be corrupted in the loading.

I had countless times of waiting and waiting and waiting and just before the last hexadecimal number had loaded up..............
    nada

I got so angry at that computer and the acorn electron I had before that but to be honest I would have waited 2 hours to load up Elite, it was that good a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Getting dos games to work from Win95 original and having to alter the pif to account for stupid memory requirements. But then directx came along and stopped that. But still the most frustrating part for me is installing.

These days when I buy a game, I install it, then look for the patch, check for graphics driver updates, reboot and only then do I attempt to play it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Ah my trusty Atari 65XE. It was the 520's (?) predecessor and used tapes to load up games (talk about OLDSKOOL). Often have i thrown a fit of rage waiting for a game to load, only to have the god-damn thing stop near the end!!! I used to tell people to tip-toe across the floor in case it knock the tape out of sync. The parents weren't too impressed at the little tantrums i took if they didn't :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I remember I was playing Sonic on the mega drive once on the last boss and got killed, game over etc.

Well I was so annoyed I hit the joy pad off the floor and it came back to hit me sqare between the eyes :D bloody well hurt it did :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    I remember I was playing Sonic on the mega drive once on the last boss and got killed, game over etc.

Well I was so annoyed I hit the joy pad off the floor and it came back to hit me sqare between the eyes :D bloody well hurt it did :(

Forgive me, but:

:D ROFL - good 'un mate! :D

(c) Dav 2000 - 2001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

hehe,i remember boucning me snes joypad off the ground 3 times full force when i was tryin to kill m.bision on 8 star's on the original street fighter.them snes joypads could take a beating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

The closest I've got to doing some real damage recently was that liquid.se 3d pong game, I played it for 5 hours solid before I beat the computer, luckily I was sat beside a wall so it could take a bit of a hammering and not be any the worse.

Operation Flashpoint can be pretty maddening as well, I've gotten to the end of a long mission a couple of times now only for someone hiding in bushes to take me out of it with one shot, my jaw drops and my heart sinks when that happens though, no violent outlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

only time ive ever lost it with a game was playing my friend at kickoff on his amiga.
    the frustratoin of him being able to play and me not being able to play was so immense, his mother had to come in and ask me to please not shout obsenities all over the house.
    i then proceeded to smash my old atari 2800 joystick i had lent him.
    hmm, and now im his best man. funny eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Hidden & Dangerous.

You spend hours working through the levels only for some fukin bug to cause the game to hang.
    Reboot the PC, no save game. Bollix
    A new keyboard and mouse were required after this happend numerous times in a row one day.

Commandos.
    FFS. talk about frustrating.
    Hours are lost just plotting out the routes of your men.
    Then, just as you move ONE of them, a patrol come sauntering along and BANG.
    he b dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i once was so enraged with me megadrive controller that i threw it into the air and proceeded to drive it across the yard with my hurley

it was the only time i hit anything with it first time :)

wont mention the game as for embarressment purposes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Commandos has induced insanity i spent a good portion of three days tryeing to beet a level and when i did it froze up i've never seen game cd case fly into a tv so hard.More seriously on the original sonic i had just gotten past a pis hard level and then died on the next one i ripped the cartridge out of the megadrive a shoved the joypad down it and then proceeded to say "NOT SO SMART KNOW ARE WE YOU SEGA BITCH!!!!" while kicking the machine arund the place and then i put water in it suffice to say it never was the same after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Originally posted by orangerooster_2000
    Commandos has induced insanity i spent a good portion of three days tryeing to beet a level and when i did it froze up i've never seen game cd case fly into a tv so hard.More seriously on the original sonic i had just gotten past a pis hard level and then died on the next one i ripped the cartridge out of the megadrive a shoved the joypad down it and then proceeded to say "NOT SO SMART KNOW ARE WE YOU SEGA BITCH!!!!" while kicking the machine arund the place and then i put water in it suffice to say it never was the same after that.

Hehe. Anyone who hasn't done that at least once isn't a real man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That last post about the megadrive is the funnyest thing i've seen all day. People here in the library are giving me funny looks for laughing out loud at my computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I used to get really really really really mad at an old Commodore 64 game "Firetrap". It was brilliant but only loaded up from the cassette about 1 time in 50. Sooooo annoying!!!

Many times my screams of anguish were heard by the next door neighbours.

The old C64 game American Football had me breaking things randomly. After 14 years of play, I still dont know how to do a touchdown. :eek:

Other than that though, no breakages. Just tears from time to time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Playing Street fighter 2 turbo on the snes....couldn't beat m bison...on the highest level...so i threw the chair i was sitting on..off the wall and proceeded to kick the **** out of it..untill the legs broke off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

when i got my playstation december 98 i bought a game with it called Cardinal Syn, a beat-em-up similar to tekken in that its 3d, but the catch was......instead of having to win 2 full rounds you could get an instant win by killing (performing a decapitation or amputation etc etc) the opponent outright.

the thing that made me smash my brand new beat-em-up joystick arcade i got was the fact that once you got to the end boss you couldnt continue unless it was on easy mode (then too easy) and if it was on anything except easy as soon as you started winning the final fight he pulls of his fatality move and its game over OMFG!££!$"$%R¬¬¬¬"!!!!

stupid dragon :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Sigh... the memories of Fantasy World Dizzy on the Amstrad CPC - i recall there being a dragon in the game, long before the age of 'saved games' and the like, which you had to lure in under a tree or something so you could jump over him. Dizzy being a total tw@t, he managed to jump over him, get whatever it was he needed on the other side, and making the simple jump back missed the ledge and fell on the dragons horns. I was sooooo frustrated! About 3/4 game hours wasted! I recall kicking part of a wall in. My parents were less than pleased... im sure shinji remembers that :)
    Also, although hes not likely to admit it, shinji gets really pissed off with games every time i beat him at one. Any one. He goes off on a rant about how the game is unbalanced - (case in point - Soul Calibur, despite the fact that i could beat anyone in the world with Cervantes)

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Vikktakkht

I've broken about 4 PS controllers over the years.... normally comes from frustration at not being able to kill the end of game bosses, Fear Effect & Tomb Raider spring to mind.... so does Gran Turismo.

It's amazing how many pieces they break into bouncing off walls or the floor...lol

Learnt not to throw them at the TV anymore....
    after I launched a beer bottle at the screen when Andreas Moller had just scored his penalty during Euro '96......
    didn't see anything after that for obvious reasons :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One of the Final Fantasies, 8 I think - was playing for about an hour and a half, had just started, and was getting really into it, but of course had not saved. PS locks up, I lose the power of speech, and the controller swiftly becomes airborne. Luckily though, the distance between me and the wall was about 8 inches longer than the cable, and it landed softly on the couch. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

Yes.....Tomb Raider Games has to be up there as the most annoying, Fustrating game of Modern Times. But if you go back a bit to the "Toughest game of All Time"...........Jet Set Willy on the ZX Spectrum. The game could actually not be finished because of some bug.Lucky the Spectrum Keyboard was made of Rubber.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Here is a list of games which pissed me right off with relevant quotes

Jungle Strike (MD), "Look, There is no Fuel dumps on the the Feckin map!"
    Street Fighter (MD), "Feckin' megadrive Joypads":mad:
    Tekken (PS), "Look Devil Kazayu doesn't exist and its feckin impossible"
    GTA (PS), The Rasta Missions, "if i hit another Feckin car in this feckin mission i'll go f*ukin POSTAL!:mad:
    UNREAL T (PC), Xan Kregor on skilled dificulty, "THAT CAMPING SPAMMING WEAPON ITEM HOGGIN BASTED!":mad:
    Abes Oddeyse(PS), " THERE ARE NOT 101 GUYS TO SAVE YOU'RE F*UKIN LYING":mad:
    Driver(PS), The presidents run " WOULD THEY EVER F*UK OFF!!!"
    Driver2 (PS), "I'm not playing it again!"
    Wipeout series (PS), "Granite is easier to chew!"
    Daikatana Demo (PC) " i instaled this piece of ****!"

The less said about halflife on Hard difficulty the better and any one who has never got angry at a game has never played KID CHAMEALEON ON THE MEGA DRIVE
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

"!!!!NOT SO SMART KNOW ARE WE YOU SEGA BITCH!!!!"

lol!

ahhhhhh not as bad as that but 4 of ur were playin that olypic games thingy on playstation i think or megadrive t'was agessssss ago anyhew, and hew we were all a bit drunk, t'was after a nite out and we were all excitable and got really into that game, goin for gold!!! so we were all there hunched in front of this little 10" tv hammer the crap out of these little joy pads, one button for each leg. faster and faster until the skin was peelin from out fingers literaly! last 10meters and i take up a lead with a lot of screaming as went thought the pain barrier and that, i'm sure ya under stand, then what FU*KIN happens? comes up on the screen "PLAYER 3 CHEATING" that b me. WHAT what the **** ya mean cheating!? thinking i have some fancy joypad with turbo buttons, what the fu*k you know! stupid bastids your all against me, the NORMAL non cheating, non turbo joypad smashes into a nice shiney floor, leaft a nice little crack in it too, my friends ma's wasn't a very happy camper the next mornin... BUT I DIDN't cheat i tells ya... FFS.

Advertisement