Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre optics HA!

Options
  • 18-10-2001 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭

i was reading a rather nice section of the indo which was rambling on about fibre optics how fast it was and how businesses throughout dublin will recieve it,
    but it also said it has no plans to set it up in areas with no demand, and there'll be no demand if its not setup ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

you can kinda see the method behind their madness tho. obviously there will be loads of demand for it in dublin industrial estates (probably the only place it will see the light of day). Id say it would only start being deployed in other areas if practically every business in cork/wherever signed a petition to get it down here. Same as DSL : Rolled out in Dublin but *ohh well* nobody else in Ireland wants it so we'll put it on the back burner and flog ISDN to the rest of the country. After all, practically all Companies think ISDN is broadband (according to a recent survey). Sick, sick situation were living in.

I'd like a fibre connection in my place :) I'm registering my demand.. when are ye gonna be down to install it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Who are they going to receive it from??

Eircom and Esat will lay fibre to anywhere in Dublin if they're going to get some sort of a return on it, that's usually between 4-8Mb though.

I've got loads of fibre in my building. Unfortunately none of it actually leaves my building.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This is the way Chorus run their business all the time, and it gets them the worst reputation. For example, they feature regularly on Neil Prendeville's (yeuch!) show on 96FM, because they assign their agents areas to work, but don't do the installs until they have a certain number of subscribers. Same goes for Powernet, they've stated publicly that they won't roll out a new area until they have 200 subs. Talk about bloody Catch 22!

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

this stuff is meant to be going into most european homes by 2010, go a head of the americans they say. all i can say is, dont worry america, ireland will hold them back :(

its a load of bolox and your better off forgeting about that stuff.

Advertisement