Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Activity for ireland offline?

Options
  • 18-10-2001 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Okay...
    where all apart of this ireland offline (IOL<--)
    we all want the same thing

But since the last meeting not alot has been happening?
    i have visited the IOL site and the information is there as was a month ago, apart from new articles that appear in the news papers?

Why are we not being more pro active?
    why are there no frequent meetings(monthly or bi-monthly)
    No further reports or updates

who is contacting who?
    is it getting the response we need
    if not what alternatives do we have?

it seems likely that yet another year will pass without broad band and all we can do is moan about it amoung ourselves.

Do we have a plane of action or road map to follow..
    do we know where where going?
    and when we hit a brick wall (as we are now!)
    what is the next step?
    "roll on 2002, 2003, 2004..... Yawn... wake me up when its all over!"
    United we stand devided we fall <--- yeah being unitied and no being pro active is not going to get us very far.
    i feel that whatever we are trying to achieve is happening much too slowly and we are all being choked to death by both eircom and the the government that has no real interest or commitment to broadband except in using it as a PR tool.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I didn't want to start my own thread for this rant, so I think I'll post here. Just got my latest phone bill over £200 just for terribly slow Internet access. WTF are the crackpots at Eircon thinking (assuming they could think)?

Ireland is the e-laughing-stock of Europe, and the world. I guess at least we can still beat Afghanistan in terms of Internet access, but that's really about it.

AND WTF: £200 for just a few hours a day of unreliable, completely ****ed up Internet access? Next think we'll hear is that Eircom will be offering to upgrade phone lines to a piece of string and some cans for a small fee...

The phrase "compost heap" does indeed tend to spring to mind when thinking about Alfie and Eircon. He is an insult to the Republic of Ireland. IMHO our corrupt government is also to blame for all of this. Not that the opposition would do any better (they're probably almost as bad).

It's seriously starting to look more and more like we're all doomed. And my "friends" abroad think this is all very funny...

Edit: I know IrelandOffline will be heard in the end, I just fear that that might still be some time off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by BoneCollector

i have visited the IOL site and the information is there as was a month ago, apart from new articles that appear in the news papers?

Better get on Esat about that then. They run the IOL website;)

BTW- unfortunately the website was DOSSED- so there might have a few other priorities in the mean time for Niall to attend *me thinks*

I'm not getting involved in this thread bcos I did so yesterday on a similar topic and I'm not goin to bed angry again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Maybe the committee could start a tradition of posting [or e-mailing to members] regular updates to keep us briefed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by 80project

Better get on Esat about that then. They run the IOL website;)

Presumably he means our site and not Ireland On-Line's one...

No, - as he says - it hasn't really had a major update in a while. This is hardly surprising, with so little happening publicly at the moment. The next IOFFL event however isn't very far away - that being the IrelandOFFLine BlackOut... ( don'cha just love capital letters in the middle of words like that? ;) ) - and myself and Adam must get around to putting up proper info on this on our site fairly sharpish.

BTW- unfortunately the website was DOSSED- so there might have a few other priorities in the mean time for Niall to attend *me thinks*

Nahhh... the DoS attack(s) are in the past and I'm not going to dwell on them...

onward and upward!
    Originally posted by vinnyfitz:

Maybe the committee could start a tradition of posting [or e-mailing to members] regular updates to keep us briefed.

erm... the committee have that already - it's our mailing list. - there's just no point in sending out a weekly newsletter that says "nothing to report right now - stay tuned" [ ... just like there's no point in certain recruitment agents ringing me regularly (every couple of days) to tell me they're still looking and still have nothing] - rest assured that as soon as there's something tangible to announce, it will be announced.

As Martin Harran said already, there is now what appears (publicly) to be a quiet period for IrelandOFFLine. That doesn't mean that things are not going on in the background, of course, and that the committee members are not still working on arranging further meetings and events to try to further the cause.

We're all in this voluntarily - IrelandOFFLine is by no means a "full time job" and we have, of course, our own lives too. I, for one, have not had as much free time to get on-line lately as I would wish, - both because of the part-time job I have and because of the increasing costs in using the 'net quite so much (- hence me getting dahamsta to co-mod the forum, the slightly less frequent updates to the website, and my own slightly less frequent postings on the forum).

I know it's clichéed but ... these things take time, - and require your patience and understanding. I'd like to see Martin's thoughts on this topic however... - my reading of it is that this one is certainly not over - not by a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

Ok we all know there is a lull at the moment.... we all feel it. But we also feel that too little is being done too late. We have had our meetings we have voiced our opinions and listened. I know certain things are going on in the background... but! If we keep waiting it will be a case of " Aww leave it until AFTER Christmas... hey look leave it until AFTER the New Year" I understand that everyone has a life outside of the Internet...but the fact is the Internet has become part of our lives and even more so for our kids. Unless we do something NOW! and lead by example.... i fear all our kids will learn from us is how to take a back seat to a Monoply. I honestly dont know if i am the only person that feels like showing Eircom just how i feel about the "*(£& £^T&^(£T service they provide", or not. But i do know if we keep sitting back and waiting Nothing Will Happen. I still say that we will not be listened to UNLESS! we hit them where it actually hurts!.... In their Pocket! And make them pay for all the Lies they have told us. All this talk and pussy footing around is only draging out what should be done NOW! and not later.

MS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Yes we all have our own lives
    yes we are all in this volentry

But we all got together for one reason.

As is said..
    standing united and doing nothing is not very pro active as well as just taking a back seat.

If we are all collectively going to be a presure group, we need to not to let up the presure even for a momment or it becomes too easy to go back to a state of pure apethy :(

Originally posted by Bard

Better get on Esat about that then. They run the IOL website ;)

Presumably he means our site and not Ireland On-Line's one...

Jeeesseee Louise wink wink, nudge nudge.....
    Irony, Joke !?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

No doubt I've missed this along the lines, when is this blackout going to be out into action?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was supposed to announce the date today, but the committee mailing list is out and I kept forgetting to resend the message to them individually (because I'm thick). I'll put it to them this weekend and have an answer for you on Monday. (They're all pretty busy at the moment, but if they don't get the chance to reply I'll set the date and damn them! :))

The bones of a site will be up too, although I'll be expecting input from you lot on how to improve it before we announce it officially. And yes, there's an IrelandOffline logo on there... :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Jeeesseee Louise wink wink, nudge nudge.....
    Irony, Joke !?

och, it was late... I was tired... y'know, yerself...

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bard

och, it was late... I was tired... y'know, yerself...

:rolleyes:
    oh I do!

Advertisement