Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBlive probs 'n questions

• 27-03-2000 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Howdy,
    I have a Sound Blaster Live 1024 value, that i got with my Gateway2k.
    First prob is that the sound out of it is very quiet. I have to turn up the volume in windows and on my speaker to get a decent sound out of it. Any ideas ?

This sort of leads to problems for me when i am trying to record mp3 to minidisc as well. As in i have to turn everything up full blast and the quality is pretty **** at the end of it.
    So can i increase the sound level ? and what is a good way to record to minidisc using a sblive ?

Any ideas ?
    cheers
    Gav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Gamblor

Did u reinstall the device ????
    It has a habit of not installing correctly in the factory .. i should know .. i work there !!!!! also go to the Creative site and get the latest drivers ... that should solve any problemos !!!

***** Feel my Evil Neon Claws *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

hmm check Multimedia in ctrl panel. Either that or there's another app somewhere controlling the volume. For example musicmatch has a seperate vol control. Also check win9x mixer levels (options->properties) and make sure wav/directsound is turned up) and the same with the SBLive! mixer.

If not it's h/w fault, get it replaced.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 27-03-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yup, I reinstalled the drivers, took the thing out, put it in another machine. Same prob

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Are you using a Minidisc walkman or separate? For some odd reason most of the walkmans use IR digital out, and most CD players/Separate minidiscs (And your SBLIVE Value, unless Gateway removed the SPDIF connector) use COAX.
    Anyway, check for the Digital out connector on your SBLIVE, if it's there and your Minidisc does accept COAX digital in then pop down to a Hi-Fi store, pick up a compatable lead and use this to connect the 2. You get a bit-for-bit copy (Minus Minidisc compression), don't have to worry about your record levels, songbreaks etc, and the qaulity is much higher than resampling the analogue signal.

As for the general Volume AMP is probably right, some app you're using is resetting the volume levels, or not all of your sources are maxed.

Are you using Digital speakers? If so make sure that you have the SPDIF out volume control showing (Volume control/Options/Properties and make sure it's ticked (This is a list of which Volume controls windows will display, it doesn't show them all by default, so you may not be looking at the mixer that matters most)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

OK, went looing and i have a spdif output thingie .. but i don't kow if my minidisc can actually take this coax cable you are saying. It is a sharp md-mt20h with optical cable in... I don't know exactly what sort of opticale line it is though ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

If it's optical only then you're out of luck on that front I'm afraid (The SBLive full version's new control panel has optical aswell, but the one on the card is COAX). I'm in the same boat with my walkman, have to lug the PC down to the hi-fi to do digital copies. If it's something you're planning to keep it's well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Hoontech make some great add-on goodies for the SB Live Value, including a daughter card with S/PDIF optical out.
    http://www.hoontech.com/product/For_SBLive/ForSBLiveValue.htm
    http://www.hoontech.com/eng_test/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭koloth

try checking the front/rear balance in SBLive mixer. Perhaps it's set too much in the direction of the rear speakers thus causing low volume...

Advertisement