Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon 8500

• 18-10-2001 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

Anyone got any opinions on this new card.
    It will probably be available in Ireland sometime in the year 3000 and cost twice as much but opinions are welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

From what I've been reading on this week#'s multitude of reviews is that it is about comparable to the Geforce 3 Ti 200, but that the GF3 Ti500 still beats it's candy ass.

ATi are rumoured to be making new "performance" drivers, but Anandtech who said they got them for the review, said they didn't make any real difference at all.

The GF3-Ti200 is a better buy simply because it's priced at around $180, or around $30-40 cheaper than the 8500, so it's sort of a waste of money unless performance at least increases to it's higher price.

Aside from the fact that everyone orders online for normal prices who isn't utterly mad, it will be interesting to see if EB or Game once again get in a top of the line card and charge £499 for it (like the GF3). I actually want to meet a person who buys hardware besides RAM in Ireland because there is absolutely no reason why ;)

However, the "rounded" surfaces that were around a few weeks back showing how it smooth-ed out angular edges like on arms, legs looked pretty nice, if utterly pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Actually the polygon rounding is a big plus I think, it's the one thing that'd interest me in the card.
    As Anand pointed out the 8500 has hell of a lot of untapped horsepower - now whether it's untapped because of driver issues, or if it's just an unbalanced design being hindered by an integrated bottleneck we don't know. They hadn't even got their FSAA method enabled in those drivers so I'd imagine that ATI are rushing it out. Methinks it'll be well worth a look by December.

Advertisement