Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office XP on desktop & laptop

• 19-10-2001 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Am thinking of moving up to Office XP. The licence allows one copy to be installed on both desktop and laptop. However, the activation FAQs on M$ website say nothing about how this scenario is handled by the Activation procedure. It sounds like the second activation will fail cos the hardware sig will be different.

Has anybody gone through this double activation on a single licence? Did it work OK? Did you have to phone M$ to explain yourself for the second activation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Install Office XP on desktop, activate using Internet.
    Install on laptop, activate using phone, tell MS Drone you had to format the drive with the first install, give them the code on your machine, they will give you the activation number and hey presto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

I was under the impression that the EULA has now changed (which is pretty lame).

I never even knew about the dual installation thing until articles started popping up on the web (I don't have a laptop and Office is not something I need/use regularly......Word 97 does just fine).

If you want to stay *legal*, the method of "using up one of the 5 reactivation attempts" like above by calling them up is a bit silly because you can just as easily download a crack for it if that's all you want......but as for the EULA itself it's a different matter if you want to remain legal.

Like Windows XP, it's real easy to bypass the Product Activation (after buying it......it's having to get Microsoft's expressed permission and secret code for something purchased legally is what bothers me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

What is there in Office XP that you need? What is it that Office 2000 is missing? Why give yourself more headaches than you need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

I have to agree......and if you can't find Office 2000 (which also is a bit resource unfriendly), you can buy Office XP and purchase for cheap (price of the CD and postage) a downgrade license to say Office 2000. Yeah it's sort of stupid because XP is more expensive, but you don't have any activation nonsense, so it's useful if you want to upgrade for whatever reason from Office 95 or 97 say.

The info is on microsoft.com somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Why would someone use Office XP?

I see the latest blunder for OXP is that if the program crashes it automatically sends that crash report to MS.. however the letter you were working on also gets sent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement