Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New 3rd Level / Universities Board

• 19-10-2001 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

As the topic says....
    I think this would be a very useful addition the boards- whether in the community or afterhours section. Theres a few reasons for my propostion...

1.If one was to currently browse the boards they would see numerous topics on student related issues- ranging from grinds, student food and the compulsory implemenation of Laptops in UCD and the cost of going to college.

2.Just look @ how many ppl list student as an occupation in their personal profiles-

3.Because sometimes threads are speicifically student related I personally find myself trying not to go OT so as not to exclude others (not students) and perhaps I send ppl e-mails or PM's to clarify a point because theres no specific place to post

4.Theres also a lot of 2nd level students who have been asking about college courses, college life etc. which is not also readily answerable in other forums because other issues are being discussed.

5.Theres loads of things to discuss about college- like grants, exams, recruitment options, post grad stuff [the list is endless]

Finally as stated I think theres enough of us students around to keep a new board busy and thus ends submission:)

BTW I know students are lazy and if it doesn't involve beer your not bothered but please vote w/ your mouse and support the new board:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Finally!
    A board where we can express our hatred of each other's college.
    A board where a TCD student, such as myself can, come and ridicule UCD students without fear of reprisal and vice versa.
    A board where we can regale each other with stories of our drunken nights out.
    A board where we can inform others of happy hours in pubs all over the country.
    A board where we can help first years pass all their exams with the minimum amount of effort.

I'm sure i've left out lots of stuff.

I foresee a great future for this board.

Killian

ps. UCD sucks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

did anyone actually use that glove ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I heartily endorse this product and/or service, as it's the very opposite of the Work board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Great Idea! Let's us bitch and moan about eachother without the oldies :) giving out about useless topics.

That glove......UCD refused to give it out, and rightly so. Me and my mates thought it was for heterosexuals, so the woman wouldn't get infections....down there.....you know what I mean!! Could you imagine....you're fooling around, and then you go - 'Hang on......(sound of rubber slapping against skin)'. LOL I think most women would run a mile!! We had never, ever heard of 'fisting' ewwww.... The glove would be like giving out tampons in the fresher's pack......only half of people would use the damn thing, what a waste!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I could see myseld using this new board as I post lots of student related posts up on boards. It certanly whould get more posts then some of the current boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

The masses are speaking.....

Cloud / DeV & the crew.....

Can we have a new toy tp play w/ pleeeaasseee????

Oh sorry I forgot to mention as pointed out...

6.We need to dicuss how funny it is to get a latex glove in a welcome pack to college. luckily we didn't get them in UCD- God only knows what chaos would have ensued. I know what happenned to the free packs of Heinz ketchup when I was a fresher:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

whats so special about ucd.

anywho, yea good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Yep definatley gets my vote!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I think it's a good idea, I'll probably be heading to some sort of third level place next year and this would be a great place to get a realistic idea of what irish colleges are like, especially for people planning to go somewhere far from home that they don't know about already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Yeah a college board would be cool....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I heartily support this product and/or service.

Down with TCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

ahh g'wan dev , let them have their playroom.
    Yer childers need a ball ta play with.

Seems like a well wanted board, and besides its a good place to let the d4 commies to hang out , as well as the other spotty punks to talk about all the things that matter before the real world biatch slaps em muhahhaha

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

If it's going to happen there'll have to be at least 2 mods. One from TCD and one from UCD. That should prevent any problems.

Killian

ps. If you're wondering why i only mentioned TCD and UCD, it's because the other colleges don't count. :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah this sounds like a good idea alright!

Umm.... where to put it though...
    The Afterhours category is getting awfully big these days
    perhaps we should split it but I dont really see a common thread between and of the boards that we could take into a new category... I was thinking maybe Entertainment...

But definitely it a runner... good idea...

DeV.

Brill Thx DeV.

I, [as I'm sure others] await its inception w/ much excitement:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

The fisting glove was never handed out by UCD staff but at the UCD Freshers' Ball, one poor boy got body-cavity searched by a Garda for 'acting suspiciously' after being seen smoking a reefer cigarette by a tree. OUCH!

Of course that doesn't equate the 'Blowjob for Tickets' affair that occurred the day of the Freshers' Ball. Some Union hacks were pulling stunts in the bar to publicise the event and were giving out free tickets for people who carried them out. The MC announced that if a girl in the audience would suck the DJ off for one minute, she'd get two tickets. One girl got up and performed the act and got her tickets - it was only after being confronted by a College Tribune reporter that the gravity of the situation dawned on her and she ran off, crying. Nevertheless, her boyfriend was pretty pleased at the free tickets and landed her with a ****-off kiss after the incident. Sick. However, the official line (or the blanketed cover-up to avoid prosecution) is that it was a carrot, not a penis. The whole thing had been a hoax. Like crap it was a hoax! Even the ents officer unofficially claims the act was genuine. Nobody's quite sure whether this classes as prostitution or not which explains the caginess of the Union.

I support a College board and I suggest that it get its own overall heading with a few subheadings - to control the content a little; perhaps divide the category into various colleges and then kinds of colleges like an overall category for RITs or something.

In fairness, flunk.ie was supposed to provide this service on itsboards but we all know how crap that website it.

I think it's a pretty good idea.

PS: Trinity sucks!

I hereby put my name forward as mod for the UCD side of this board, but seeing as no-one will support me, my vote is for 80p if he wants to do it (unless you let me do it) :)

[edit:]DadaKopf - that yoke was a total hoax. The girl was seen kissing her boyfriend, immediately after the act. Personally, if I saw MY girlfriend doing something like that, she definitely wouldn't get a kiss(in fact she'd be dumped on the spot), so obviously he was in on it all. As for the (now ex-)ents officer - we ALL know about his credibility, so if he says it did happen then, it definitely didn't.(He was fired as ents officer when he 'didn't feel the need' to tell the committee that the headlining act(Wheatus) had pulled out. He waited until after the weekend)

Actually, I'd like to put myself forward as a mod also - i think I'd be pretty good at it and I know what's going down in UCD cos of my VERY close involvement with the College Tribune. I just know what's going on which is always a help when accusations start flying around the place!

So like, if anyone wants to endorse me or anything, feel free :) .

Seamus:

There's an email going around that clearly states that at least 5 people saw what really happened, including the UCD Welfare Officer. When you think about the numbers who actually saw what happened and the kinds of people who are covering it up, all you can do is make certain conclusions. When you talk to the Union and the staff in the Bar, Laraghy himself etc, you see a trend going on which is a little too sound to be credible.

As for Houly not telling the committee, I know Union rules state he is obliged to tell the UCDSU committee but it actually happened Friday evening when most of them were off getting pissed so he told them on Monday. If you know the union types as well as I do, you'll know that they find the pettiest legal issues and play at pretend politics for the sake of their egos. Houly isn't actually like that, he doesn't care. But that's also his downfall - unlike last year's sleazebag Paul Burke who, despite his problems and people's problems with him, he was an excellent Ents officer.

• Advertisement

Yeah I can support reasons for not telling the committee, but as for the BJ, I really, really doubt it.
    1) for the boyfriend reason given above
    2) There is NOONE (naive freshers included) who would give someone a blowjob for a 20 quid ticket.

That said, at the traffic light ball on thurs(?) night, people were seen paying 70 quid for two tickets into a notoriously crap night, obviously under the pretence that it was some kind of scorefest(or under the influence of a lot of alcohol)

I really hate the C&E - apparently they're text messaging members (4000 of them) with things like "Word him [insert name here]! At the Traffic Light Ball, 97% of people scored!" And, like you said, a "notiously crap night" - it's been like that since day one.

BJ Incident: well, it's going to divide opinion in the bar for months to come, that's for sure :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Done...

See up top.

Deadly. Ah yes this is gonna be fun...........

Originally posted by seamus
    my vote is for 80p if he wants to do it

Well I have no problem obliging:)
    I'm hanging around the boards alot so I'd be able to keep an eye on things and More importantly I suppose I'm always around college! Considering theres goin to be 2 boards- I'd put my name forward for either one!

We'll start the voting on the college life boards
    > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33800

Advertisement