Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table backgrounds in HTML

• 05-04-2000 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

what i am trying to do:
    have one big table which has a gif background. in the table there are little tables. these have no backgrounds

what is wrong
    in netscape (not ie though) the background in the big table is fine. however, i get the same background "starting" in the little tables. this means that the pattern on the background goes out of sync.

can any1 help?

harVey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

make sure none of the cell backgrounds are set. and just the table bg is set (theyre different things). unless its a bug in netscape thats all i can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

I had the same problem ( http://homepage.eircom.net/~twenty/links.html - the menu is a table ) , it looked grand in ie but netscape it looks all weird.I wouldnt mind knowing why either.

[This message has been edited by 2040 (edited 05-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

gah! Table within a table within a table within a table within a table within a table within a frame.
    Thats a noodle scratcher...
    /me scratches head.

Is there any other way you can do it, say with only one table? And just use more cells?

the grotto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Check your table tags. NS doesn't like badly coded Tables, where as IE will let you make a complete mess of things.

Which help propogate 1000's of bad HTML programmers (at least until frontpage came out and converted thier webpages into 4MB D/L's).

Oh yea, don't use tables within tables. Unless you don't want people coming back to your site again (as it will crash quite a few browsers).

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 05-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Tables within tables are to be avoided, though often they can't be and sometimes they are better than the alternative).

Try giving the inner tables a transparent gif as their background.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

transparent gif didn't work cos it's still a gif.
    the page is at http://www.csc.tcd.ie/~enviro . instead of a green background i wanted a grassy pattern but i don't have time.
    anyway cheers
    harVey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 paw

Talliesin is right, put a transparent gif as your bg image in your inner table.
    http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~paws/table.htm

an example done for someone else.

paw

Advertisement